Has reality always been? Will it always be?

ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:55 pm
@fresco,
I'm going to have to ask you to not continue to post on my thread if you cannot read. You are stonewalling my exact question and trying to inadvertently make statements that are completely irrelevant. Do not disrespect others who actually took the time to understand what the question means. Thank you, continue thinking Apollo.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank he should not bother you any further, I'm sorry for his ignorance to the topic itself. Continue on attempting to answer the questions before you in life. With kind regards, Apollo.
0 Replies

Relinquish

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:58 pm
@ApollosEnvy,
I'm not saying nothing is still something. I'm saying there isn't any real something. The causeless, boundless nothing that is irreducibly here instead is true nature of Reality, and what you are calling 'Non-Reality' (if it does exist) is in eternal violation of its own definition, and so simply renders itself forever 'self-cancelled'.
0 Replies

ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:06 pm
@Olivier5,
If reality has not always been, there was absolute nothingness. Reality itself may be a paradox to the point that nothingness simply just cannot exist thus creating reality itself. It may be the answer to what created everything.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hey Frank, since we're here in reality today. That must mean that it does exist, which is unquestionable. My thoughts are that reality in itself is a paradox. Absolute nothingness would be impossible without a counterpart thus creating reality itself. This could possibly be the answer to how everything came to be. There cannot be one without another. What are your thoughts?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:41 pm
@ApollosEnvy,
ApollosEnvy wrote:
I'm going to have to ask you to not continue to post on my thread if you cannot read. You are stonewalling my exact question and trying to inadvertently make statements that are completely irrelevant. Do not disrespect others who actually took the time to understand what the question means. Thank you, continue thinking Apollo.
The way it works on a2k is:
This is not your thread.

It works better that way, as it turns out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:49 pm
@ApollosEnvy,
States of affairs may change
That's the thing about reality.

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:44 pm
@neologist,
Well said neo. States of affairs change as we change and vice versa. Some of us have a lot more changing to do than others in order to understand the difference between metaphysical word games and practical analysis.
neologist

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:49 pm
@fresco,
Yeah. But reality is what reality is.
fresco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:05 pm
@ApollosEnvy,
Only a simpleton would be ignorant of the view that "time" is a psychological construct. That's where you might start from when you re-read your pseudo- question.
fresco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:21 pm
@neologist,
No. "Reality" is a word WE give to what we agree about states of affairs. The fact that we agree about quite a lot tends to give the impression that " reality" is a state independent of such agreement. The epitome of what I am saying is that I as an atheist understand that "God exists" is "reality" for consenting deists. I simply don't agree with them. That "reality" may inform their modus operandi but it does not inform mine.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:27 pm
@fresco,
But, it is. It's a form of measurement. A way for Humans to keep track of events. It's not a physical entity, it's a concept created by humans. So if you would like to continue to be immature about this, I will have to ask you to leave. You're being very rude on this discussion. We're all philosophers here, not scientists. You do not need facts for theories. So stop acting like you're above another peer, it's disgusting. From dust we have started, to dust we shall return.
0 Replies

ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:29 pm
@fresco,
Reality is a perception of existence. It has multiple meanings correct. You would not be here today without reality. The fact of existence, is why reality is a thing.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:33 pm
@Relinquish,
It's an opposite is it not?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:42 pm
@ApollosEnvy,
No. The words "reality" "perception" and "existence" are useful human constructions which they employ in their interactions with what they call "the world". They cease to be useful at secondary levels of analysis where the nature of words themselves is under scrutiny. That is why philosophers like Heidegger needed to resort to neologisms in order to discuss "Being and Time".

NB. One of the main functions of philosophy is to question 'common sense assumptions'. We are NOT doing philosophy unless we bear that in mind.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:10 am
@ApollosEnvy,
Quote:
Editing the original post because as I've seen there are already a few of you being smart asses. I'm not talking about reality as a concept(As stated. Thank you for reading that part.) I'm talking about existence as a whole. Reality is a concept perceived by everything that is a part of it e.x. humans. To help you understand what I mean, we as human beings have a higher perception of reality, of what is and what may come. Do you think there has always been a reality to perceive, and will there always be one?

And what was this perception perceived by these higher perceiving humans? Did nothing exist prior to the coming of these higher perceiving beings?

Didn't there have to be a realm of existence already in existence to contain these higher perceiving beings?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:33 am
@ApollosEnvy,
ApollosEnvy wrote:

As with reality time is also a concept, time is different everywhere in the universe it is also a perception kind of thing.

Yes but it doesn't matter. It is still real.

Quote:
Existence has to have always been or we wouldn't be here now, but will it always be? Has reality always had a role to play? Will it one day end?

Why would it? Ever heard of the conservation of mass and energy?

Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout se transforme.
(Nothing gets lost or created, everything is just changing form)
--Lavoisier
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:22 am
@ApollosEnvy,
Quote:
I want you all to dig deep into your brains, and come up with the best answer you could possibly summon. Has reality always been? If yes why? How could it possibly have always been? All throughout human knowledge everything has a start and an end. Will reality always remain?
(Do not try to be smart and state that reality is a concept, because yes it is a concept.)

Before you were born, reality existed.

You see new born babies and see people dying. Reality still exists.

Chances are that regardless of what happened to humanity, reality was and will always "be there".

So, yes, we can't tell how reality came to be, and less if reality will stop its existence, but in base of analyzing our status in this world, reality -the entire existing universe- won't care at all about our existence, and it will remain.
argome321

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:02 am
@ApollosEnvy,
If all the matter that is know and unknown some how cease to exist and only empty absolute space remained, would that not be the existing reality?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:21 am
I stand by my original response, Apollo.

Anyone who attempts to answer questions about the true nature of REALITY...and who comes up with anything other than...

...I do not know and any guesses would be just blind guesses...

...is kidding both you and him/herself.

Don't get me wrong...guesses about REALITY are fun and provide an opportunity to exercise one's brain. But to call any speculation about REALITY anything but a wild guess...is an insult to being reasonable.
0 Replies