Surgeon: Human body did not evolve

neologist

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 12:17 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
. . . Another self proclaimed scientist who hates people and doesnt understand the basics of Atheism or logic .
Basics?
You mean like, tenets?
Ionus

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 02:47 am
@neologist,
No, I mean the basics . Atheists who attack the Bible and think they have defeated God, that Atheism requires belief but they say they havent any, its all been covered in this thread before .
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 02:48 am
Atheism does not require belief--and that's all been covered before.
layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 03:44 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Atheism does not require belief--and that's all been covered before.

Yes, indeed it has been covered, at great length (in another--now deleted--thread, at least), with the conclusion that the overwhelming consensus (the standard dictionary definition, for instance) is that atheism DOES, in fact, entail a belief, whereas agnosticism does not.
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:17 am
@layman,
Not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit.

The number one result at google for "define atheist:"

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

From the Free Dictionary dot com:

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

From the Oxford dictionaries:

Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

(In all cases above, emphasis has been added.)

This page looks at several definitions.

The only definition i find which absolutely says that an atheist is someone who believes that there is no god is the Merriam-Webster. Sorry, Bubba, one swallow does not a summer make. You've been reading too much of Frank's bullshit

As New Yorkers will say, don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

argome321

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
As New Yorkers will say, don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

Hey I'm a New Yorker and have never said that. Twisted Evil
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:52 am
@argome321,
Surely you're not so foolish as to think i care what you do or don't say. I'm a native of New York, although i no longer live there. I say it. So much for anecdotal evidence.

How wonderful--we have yet another member whose only apparent interest is to argue for argument's sake.
layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The only definition i find....

Heh, then you can't read the source of your own citations, even when they summarize things for you in a simple matter, and even when I quote those summaries for you, eh? Here it is AGAIN:

Quote:
Atheist" according to most modern dictionaries:

Most dictionaries define an "Atheist" as a person who either passively believes that no God exists, and/or who actively asserts this belief. For example:

bullet Webster's New World Dictionary®, Third College Edition defines an Atheist as "a person who believes that there is no God." 1 This definition implies that Atheists have investigated proofs and for the existence and non-existence of God, and have decided that no God exists or that the probability of one existing is phenomenally small. It seems to include a "closet" Atheist: one who believes that there is no God but does not assert this belief to others. This definition would seem to imply that a person who believes in the existence of a Goddess, but not a God, is also an Atheist. This definition will probably not satisfy many Goddess worshipers. Webster Dictionary, 1913 had a more inclusive definition that includes non-male deities: "One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being." 2 So did Webster's 1828 Dictionary: "One who disbelieves the existence of a God, or Supreme intelligent Being." 2

bullet Websters Collegiate® Dictionary defines an Atheist as "one who denies the existence of God." This is a particularly vague definition, because it does not define which God is being referred to. If Websters means the Christian God, then it would seem to imply that anyone who does not believe in the Trinity is an Atheist -- including Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, Sikhs, and Atheists. The word "denies" would seem to imply that the individual actively promotes their belief.

bullet Other definitions: 2
bullet The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition: "One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."

bullet The Cambridge International dictionary of English: "someone who believes that god or gods do not exist."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/atheist14.htm

Actually, I think this is a different site (I can't check the link now because the other thread has been deleted), but one that says basically the same thing as the other, except the other cited quite a few more dictionaries, as I recall.

argome321

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Surely you're not so foolish as to think i care what you do or don't say. I'm a native of New York, although i no longer live there. I say it. So much for anecdotal evidence.

How wonderful--we have yet another member whose only apparent interest is to argue for argument's sake.

Man you've got a bug up your ass. What's your problem. I said it in jest.
Are you becoming paranoid? I wasn't arguing with you.
layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:09 am
@argome321,
Quote:
Man you've got a bug up your ass. What's your problem. I said it in jest.
Are you becoming paranoid? I wasn't arguing with you

"Becoming," Arg? Actually, you don't have to argue...for him,you mainly just have to exist in order to be attacked without cause.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:40 am
@layman,
I left this part out:

Quote:
"A person who positively believes that no God(s) or Goddess(es) exists"...This is the definition of Atheism used by most Christians, other Theists, and dictionaries of the English language.

"A person who has no belief in a God or Goddess"...This is the definition of Atheism used by many Atheists.

The problem here, as the site goes on to explain, it that the second definition, the one used by "many atheists" to define "atheism," is actually the definition of an agnostic, not an atheist. And this is the reason some who are agnostic mistakenly think they are "atheists:"

Quote:
...some Agnostics consider themselves to be Atheists... [But] as currently defined, most Agnostics hold the question of the existence of God open, pending the arrival of more evidence.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/agnostic2.htm
0 Replies

Ionus

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:12 am
@argome321,
Quote:
Man you've got a bug up your ass. What's your problem..... Are you becoming paranoid? ...
I understand your problem with **** for brains, thats cause you are a part of the human race who he tries to bully but we should strive for tolerance of the mentally ill...esp if they seek professional help and follow instructions . (You are seeking professional help and are following instructions, arent you **** for brains ?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:39 pm
@argome321,
So, you don't know what the verb argue means? You contradicted what i had said. It is reasonable for me to characterize that as argument. I am neither paranoid, nor interested in arguing anecdotal claims.
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:41 pm
@layman,
So? It's bullshit. Do you understand that concept? There is a huge and significant difference between believing that no gods exist, and not believing that any god exists. Your's is simply a feeble attempt at a polemical position from which you can demand proof for a claim that most atheists are not making. You have come up with no more definitional evidence than i provided.
0 Replies

argome321

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
So, you don't know what the verb argue means? You contradicted what i had said. It is reasonable for me to characterize that as argument. I am neither paranoid, nor interested in arguing anecdotal claims.

How have I contradicted what you have said? I was being flippant with my remark to you. But don't worry, I will not do that again.

layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:26 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
But don't worry, I will not do that again.

That's too bad, Arg. The way I see things, that's just a call for you to do it (be flippant) more with this jackass.
giujohn

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:30 pm
Let me make it perfectly clear...I am an atheist, and I believe.

I believe that anyone over the age of 10 who still beleives in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or God, is severely deluded.
layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:56 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Let me make it perfectly clear...I am an atheist, and I believe.

If a person has no conviction either way on the question of the existence of god, why would he OBJECT to being called an "agnostic?"

By the same token, if a person is convinced that there is no god, why would he OBJECT to being called an "atheist?"

What difference does it make--you are what you are?

The is a reason, and there is a "difference" in the minds of atheists, and they have made it clear what that reason is. I have shown what athiests themselves have said about the matter in another thread.

There is a reason they want to re-write they language--but is has nothing to do with definitions, per se.
0 Replies

argome321

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:09 pm
@layman,
Quote:
That's too bad, Arg. The way I see things, that's just a call for you to do it (be flippant) more with this jackass.

Usually I would agree, but I think it would be useless. I might get a concussion banging my head against the wall.
layman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:13 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
I might get a concussion banging my head against the wall.

I don't think YOU would be the one "banging his head against the wall," in that event, but, whatever, ya know?

He can now add you to the "notches" on his belt which he makes for those who he thinks have been intimidated and now dare not disagree with him.