FBM

Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:52 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:

There are tunnels leading to the darkness of hell as well. One could have your name on it.

Laughing I don't think you're going to scare an unbeliever with threats of hell. That fear may motivate you to indulge in delusion, but I've already overcome that fear and escaped the delusion. Decades ago. By studying the Bible in university. In a class taught by a man of the cloth.
Patches

Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:54 pm
@FBM,
It is no threat to the unbeliever. I have seen the reality of it myself. Don't be a loser.
FBM

Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:55 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:

It is no threat to the unbeliever. I have seen the reality of it myself. Don't be a loser.

Well, all you have to do is provide some legitimate evidence or proof of your claims and I'll jump back on board. Keep in mind what I said about proof destroying faith, though.
izzythepush

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 01:36 am
@FBM,
That's all they've got left, fire and brimstone, hell and damnation, for anyone who dares to think for themselves. That's how loving their god is, an egotistical maniac who will cause people to suffer for all eternity just for not believing in him. Such a god does not deserve worshipping.
FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 01:39 am
@izzythepush,
Kinda hard NOT to see, innit?

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/11069637_1090957487586368_8282462598703827324_n_zps3pykvpns.jpg
Smileyrius

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 04:57 am
@Patches,
which word translated as Hell in your bible are you referring to here my friend? Gehenna, Sheol/Hades, or Tartaroo?
0 Replies

Patches

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 11:59 am
@FBM,
I've already shown you a photograph of the Holy Spirit. By the time you see the "evidence" that you are looking for it could be too late.
izzythepush

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 12:28 pm
@FBM,
The whole thing is nonsense when you look at it. Patches is a Catholic, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say Catholicism is the way. Look at Mussolini and Ghandi. Mussolini was a good Catholic, gave the Vatican back to the Pope, and probably confessed regularly, so despite everything he gets into heaven. Or even Hitler, he was a Catholic, if he made a deathbed confession he's in heaven. Ghandi's got no ******* chance.

So the message is, we don't know if Hitler and Mussolini are in Heaven or not, they might be, but Ghandi's definitely in Hell.
neologist

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 12:30 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
I don't see how I'm equating or conflating the two. Faith is faith whether you're otherwise a credulous person or not.
Faith requires evidence. (Hebrews 11:1)
I realize believers rely on only circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, but such evidence resulted in 80 year prison sentence for a Snohomish County (Washington) man this week.
neologist

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 12:40 pm
@Patches,
I am still waiting for you to explain how a loving God could assign infinite punishment for finite sin, particularly because the soul does not survive death and because "who has died has been acquitted from his sin" (Romans 6:7)

Your failure to explain may cast doubt on your assertions about nimbi.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 04:32 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:

I've already shown you a photograph of the Holy Spirit. By the time you see the "evidence" that you are looking for it could be too late.

And I've already shown you that
a) such photographs are so easily faked that I did it myself in about 20 minutes, and
b) you're not going to scare a non-believer with threats of hell.

You have no proof, no evidence and not even a convincing argument. What would be anyone's motivation for changing their whole life structure based on what, by all accounts, looks like a delusion?
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
It runs deep, the BS: http://www.sounddoctrine.com/famous.htm
FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 04:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
I don't see how I'm equating or conflating the two. Faith is faith whether you're otherwise a credulous person or not.
Faith requires evidence. (Hebrews 11:1)
I realize believers rely on only circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, but such evidence resulted in 80 year prison sentence for a Snohomish County (Washington) man this week.

Not sure why you quoted that verse, as it says nothing about about requiring or having evidence. Circumstantial evidence comes in a wide range of degrees of certainty. It's not necessarily inferior to direct evidence. That's a common misconception. But we're not talking about law, anyway. We're talking about cosomology and cosmogony.
neologist

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:22 pm
@FBM,
Hebrews 11:1, KJV:
Quote:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
I'm not speculating on the origins or nature of the cosmos. I'm talking about a view of world affairs from the point of view of the naive realist, as close as I may get to the unsophisticated, yet sagaciously aware first century man.
FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:25 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Hebrews 11:1, KJV:
Quote:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
I'm not speculating on the origins or nature of the cosmos. I'm talking about a view of world affairs from the point of view of the naive realist, as close as I may get to the unsophisticated, yet sagaciously aware first century man.

That passage has been translated in many other versions of the Bible without using the word "evidence." Anyway, what the KJV version says boils down to faith = evidence. I hope you're not suggesting that.
neologist

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:34 pm
@FBM,
Evidence: It's what we make of it that leads to faith or denial.
For some, that may not be enough. But I hardly think my belief to be based on credulity.
I find ample circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to convince myself beyond a reasonable doubt.
I present it on this board. So far, after about 10 years, I seem to have convinced no others. Shocked
FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:39 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Evidence: It's what we make of it that leads to faith or denial.
For some, that may not be enough. But I hardly think my belief to be based on credulity.
I find ample circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to convince myself beyond a reasonable doubt.
I present it on this board. So far, after about 10 years, I seem to have convinced no others. Shocked

Hmm. It could be that's because those others do see the question of a god bound up with cosmology and cosmogony. And for those, we need something more than circumstantial or anecdotal evidence. We need something we can put to the test either by observation or experimentation. I think you'll agree that the blurry photos of blobs of light in the OP don't quite cut the cake.
neologist

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:47 pm
@FBM,
I hope to keep him honest. He generates enough straw men for an army.
FBM

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 05:49 pm
@neologist,
Got that right.
0 Replies

Patches

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:44 pm
@FBM,
Hitler used to burn Holy Bibles. He is known as the second anti-Christ...hardly Catholic.