Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:47 pm
I am running electrical in a building built in 1910. It is about 100+ feet long and about 22 feet wide. It has 20' ceilings and no dividing walls (one open room). The ceiling is the original tin, and the walls are brick covered with an inch think plaster. It is going to be used as a hair salon so I will need electrical drops on both sides along the walls. I plan on running EMT across the wall about 10’ up with junction boxes above each hair station. Then EMT down the wall to a box with the outlets. My question is do I have to run continuous runs of wire, or can I cut and connect in each box to make it easier to make the long runs. From the circuit box to the front outlet is probably 200' total and will be all in EMT running thought probably 8 junctions. I have it split into separate circuits, but just wanting to know if I can just run the wires box to box so I am pulling 10’ or so instead of 200’.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 964 • Replies: 4
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:20 pm
@pthirion,
Just curious, is this Salon using the entire building or just an area up front? I only ask because if the business is in only a portion of the building it may be easier to install a panel closer and have shorter runs. As long as the boxes are sized for the conductors you can splice in each box. If you pull through its one conductor if you splice it counts as two for box fill. Not knowing how many station you have or conductors, deration could become an issue if you try any run too many circuits in a single conduit. Just something to consider.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:18 pm
@pthirion,
Sure you can, and you will save lots of effort.

Check the amperage needed for the installed devices.

According to NEC 220:12, the calculation is 3 Volt-amperes per square foot, and you can translate it faster and more accurate by checking the amps of each device in each station quad of the hair saloon.

Like to say, a hair dryer pulls 1,800 watts and will need a 15 amp circuit breaker. Plus,, there will be other devices connected to the outlet. So each station squad might need a dedicated 20 amps circuit. You can install a duplex receptacle to give more comfort.(this might mean to add 10 circuit breakers in the panel box

Be sure to check first the total amperage needed by the hair saloon devices in order to avoid overloads. Each device has the require watt/amp information, you are doing installations for devices like hair dryers, curly flat irons, etc.

About running wires inside EMT.

If you use a electric fish tape, you can run from the further junction box to the first one and pull the wires straight without splits. This will give you lots of space for running more cables thru the same junction boxes. There will be a lot of wiring.

On the other hand, from the panel you can run the EMT in two ways, right and left, and each side can supply power for five station squad areas. Here you have less wires to play with at each junction box. This is assuming that station squads will also be one in front of the another using opposites walls.

If you can, label the wires at each junction box, this is for future repairs, it will facilitate any troubleshooting if needed. This is not obligatory, but it will save time if one day is needed to locate a certain circuit running on the third junction box, as an example.

Best wishes with your project.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 11:27 am
@carloslebaron,
Carlos I'm impressed; interested in your credentials

Sex (m?), Ed. (EE, jpurn?)
dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
That's journ
0 Replies