need car buying advice

Anoxia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
Last August I bought a 2000 Chevy Impala, and I've learned that the insurance and gas mileage seem to be quite costly. I'm thinking of getting rid of it and buying a Honda Civic instead, since that was what I wanted initially anyway.

My question is, how should I go about this? Are there more economical cars than the civic? Is it best to just stick with what I have for a few more years? Trade in or sell privately?

I'd love to hear what others think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sebby

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
impala or civic
if ur gonna buy a civic, buy it new.1 or 2 year olds can be the same price as new.they depreciate slower than most cars.if u do find one with a good price it probably has high miles.Also,if ur selling the impala ,sell it quick because those r worth half the price after 3 years .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:56 am
Hi anoxia, and a belated welcome to A2K.

I'm online-constrained at the moment, so I'm going to address this later today; for now, would you post your answers to the following questions, please:

--What is your equity position? How much do you owe today on the loan, versus how much you put down when you purchased the Impala; total dollars, including the dollar value of any trade-in?

--What incentives -- i.e. rebates or low loan interest rates -- did you take advantage of when you bought the Chevy? And what incentives of this type are currently in effect in your part of the country on Honda Civics?

-- how much money is the Civic going to save you on gas and insurance over the course of the next twelve months? As precisely as you can figure it, please...

I'll be back later...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
I'd check the insurance rates of the Civic before assuming it's lower...Hondas are generally pretty high because of theft rates.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
I dont think there is much of a difference in insureance, but gas is about $250-300 over 12 months.

I owe nothing on my impala.

I don't know of incentives on hondas, but I was looking to buy used.

I was hoping the trade off wouldn't cost me anything... but I notice that my 2000 Impala has depreciated much more than I thought. This may not be worth it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
You're not going to be able to trade a 2000 Impala for a similar year, low mileage Civic straight up...it probably wouldn't be worth it simply for gas savings. Besides, figure you pay a little more gas with the Impala, but it's a more powerful, comfortable, larger car, too. It's a trade-off.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:42 pm
I'm going to start a job in another city, and having to commute. Ah well, I'll take the bus Smile
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:03 pm
Anoxia wrote:
I owe nothing on my impala.

That's the way to go. And it sounds like you already know the approximate value of it as a trade-in. You can do a little better by retailing it (private-party sale) but it's usually not worth it.

Anoxia wrote:
I don't know of incentives on hondas, but I was looking to buy used.

I was hoping the trade off wouldn't cost me anything... but I notice that my 2000 Impala has depreciated much more than I thought. This may not be worth it.

Obviously then, the calculation is easy. If you can't trade straight up for a Honda you like, then it's not going to be worth it to you...and it sounds as if you have already figured that out.

Good luck in any event.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
True. Thank you all for your help Smile
0 Replies