Edible flowers - anyone know how to use them?

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
I would like to know more about edible flowers and more importantly HOW to use them.

I know roses, pansies and nasturtiums are all edible along with the flowers of some herbs like chives. there are others and then some like foxgloves (digitalis) are poisonous.

What do you do with them though?

I like the idea but i do not like cooking - so simple uses are best for me. I assume you use them fresh, as they are anyway.

I know you can crystallise them but i was thinking of more direct use.

cav???? anyone? any advice?

(I didn't get any helpful stuff googling - just ads for books)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 985 • Replies: 9
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:19 am
Vivien

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm by no means an expert. The only use I know of is in salads using nasturtiums, mainly. I'll be very interested in what other A2Kers come up with.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
Dandelions make an excellent tea and can also be used in a salad. Cattails which, grow wild in swamps, are also edible though my experience is they taste like ****.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
Hey, Vivien. Let's not forget Dandelion wine. (for cooking purposes only, you understand) Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:17 am
I use flowers , herbs, roots , leaves every day. wich ones do you want to know about?
PLEASE PLEASE dont use foxglove. it is a stimulant for the heart and very dangerous. Im glad you know that one.

Post wich ones you want to use and I will tell you how to make infusions, tes, paste, etc.. what ever you need.
:-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
Some general information is given here

More here, and here, another link ... and here my favourite.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:04 pm
Remember, anything leafy (petally?) that you can throw in a salad, you can layer on a sandwich.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
I have a Peterson Field Guide on "Edible Wild Plants". They don't list anything on pansies (maybe there are no wild pansies?) but for roses they mention using the petals in teas and salads and making jams and syrups from rose hips.

Nasturtiums are in the same plant grouping as watercress and can be used the same ways.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
The 'wild' pansy is called viola tricolor, common all over Europe.

A quite wellknown recipe is a "Ring cake with orange slices and sugared pansies".

('Frosted' seems to be the correct word - similar recipe here)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:52 pm
Walter those links are great - and so fast! I go away for a while and there is all this information Very Happy that is just what i needed to see what is safe and what isn't. I didn't find any sites that good when i searched

Shewolf - ANY information would be gratefully received! I know absolutely nothing as yet about using flowers and
was hoping for some feedback from people who know about it.

Personally I'm not keen on peppery tastes but my husband is, so if you have time .... whatever you can tell me I'll be happy.

mmm you have to remember I'm in England so some American flowers may not grow here.

I love the idea of petals in a salad (I adore salads)
0 Replies