What good does religion offer the world today?

InfraBlue

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 01:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Why would InfraBlue feel a need to conflate fine tuning and ID?

Because InfraBlue was confirming that Leadfoot was referring to ID.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 01:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Now why would a physicist feel the need to refute ID? They consider ID not worth consideration, don't they?

That's like saying, 'Why would a physicist, (or any other scientist for that matter,) waste their time talking to an idiot like me?'

Is that how you measure success now, by having people respond to you?
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Naw, he was just trying to button push. The meaning in ur post was obvious to anyone aware enough to enter the conversation

Heh!
Blue has been trying to find that button for years.
I'm going to have some coffee now . . .. .
C'mon over if you're near San Diego
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:07 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
It can be annoying the "bump bug", but consider how annoying toenail fungus ads are... This site is provided free of advertisements, I'll take the bump bug any day over the toenail fungus ads. . . .
My podiatrist told me heavy doses of biotin and MSM would cure the fungus. After 5 weeks, it seems to be working. I'd post pictures, but I don't want to gross you out.
2 Cents
neologist

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
Simple.
It's like Wheaties giving a 90 day free trial.
InfraBlue

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:38 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Simple.
It's like Wheaties giving a 90 day free trial.

I doubt that you needed a 90 day free trial.
neologist

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
It took me about a year
TheCobbler

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 08:11 am
@neologist,
Soak your feet every day in unpasteurized vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil, no fungus can survive that. Smile
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 08:15 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"Why would InfraBlue feel a need to conflate fine tuning and ID?"

Since you found it necessary to repeat yourself, I will too.

It was physicists who revealed fine tuning, not the advocates of ID. Physicists are just annoyed that their discoveries appear to support ID and therefore feel the need to make fine tuning seem 'not so weird'. So - multiverses to the rescue. If there are an infinite number of universes, fine tuning can be explained as an accidental event.

Saberta

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 10:13 am
Religion doesn't offer to the world anything that can't be offered in another ways
I'd rather receive intentional affection and love rather than a placebo
cicerone imposter

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 10:21 am
@Saberta,
Without the intervention of religion.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"Why would InfraBlue feel a need to conflate fine tuning and ID?"

Since you found it necessary to repeat yourself, I will too.

It was physicists who revealed fine tuning, not the advocates of ID. Physicists are just annoyed that their discoveries appear to support ID and therefore feel the need to make fine tuning seem 'not so weird'. So - multiverses to the rescue. If there are an infinite number of universes, fine tuning can be explained as an accidental event.

ID doesn't play into physicists' theories. Creationists read ID into the findings of science, e.g "fine tuning." They conflate science with ID. You're conflating physicists with creationists.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:44 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
It took me about a year

I think we're interpreting your Wheaties metaphor very differently.
TheCobbler

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:14 am
I read that a lot of the people who were voted out of office in the UK were ministers...

It seems it is part of the Trump effect.

If
Trump = religion
Then
religion = bad
izzythepush

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 03:18 am
@TheCobbler,
OH FFS, they're not religious ministers, and Trump had **** all to do with it.

Quote:
Jane Ellison

Labour snatched the Conservative minister’s majority of almost 8,000 in the London seat of Battersea. The first major Labour win of the general election saw Marsha De Cordova win with a 9.1 per cent swing in the vote in the increasingly affluent, gentrified seat.

Gavin Barwell

The Conservative Housing Minister lost his Croydon Central seat to Labour in the most hotly contested seat in the capital. Mr Barwell, the author of a book titled 'How to Win a Marginal Seat', witnessed his majority of just 165 in his marginal seat overturned by Labour candidate Sarah Jones.

Rob Wilson

Charities minister, who had a majority of 6,520 in the 2015 general election, was defeated by Labour candidate Matt Rodda after a 16 per cent swing to Labour.

Nicola Blackwood

The health minister is another Conservative frontbencher who lost their seat. Ms Blackwood lost in Oxford West and Abingdon, to Liberal Democrat Layla Moran, by 816 votes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-seats-nick-clegg-alex-salmond-angus-robertson-a7782291.html
TheCobbler

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
Trump = conservative minister

Conservative minister = bad

Smile

Conservative ministers = religious wannabes.

They usually claim to be religious also, except for the part about those to be stoned to death for adultery, most of them are on their third or fourth marriage (besides all the hookers they employ)... Praise Jesus...

Thanks for clarifying my error there Izzy, we don't have government "ministers" in the USA because of separation of church and state this is why it is confusing.

We have "secretaries", I guess a slightly more "secular" term.
izzythepush

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 12:21 pm
@TheCobbler,
No you just use different names. It has nothing to do with church and state, people who sit in the cabinet are called ministers, it's got absolutely nothing to do with religion.

Trump's influence is no way near as big as you imagine. Our election was about Britain and Brexit, nothing to do with Trump.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
Who is "we"?
TheCobbler

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 05:51 pm
@Saberta,
Yes, genuine love (empathy) is much better than fake love induced by some sort of "deal" with a barbarous deity.

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 07:47 pm
Tonight I got a fortune cookie which always always always come true, of course.

It said, "It is better to be the hammer than the anvil."

Any thoughts on this?