Outlet neutral guard pushes out plug

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:38 am
Electrician installed new outlets have sideways "T" on neutral side for plug.
When I plug in an appliance, there is an internal "guard" on neutral side that pushes the plug back out, so it does not make contact unless I physically hold the plug in. Why is this "guard" there, and what do I do to allow a plug to stay in place? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 946 • Replies: 2
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 02:00 pm
@psilversmith,
I think it was in 2008 that the NEC first required Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in dwelling units. The 2014 NEC, 406.12(A) calls for TR Receptacles in all the areas of a dwelling covered by 210.52 and that covers kitchens. The electrician installed 20amp rated receptacles that is why you see that slot off the neutral. The tamper resistant shutters would be required in those receptacles even if they were 15amp rated which would be allowed on the 20amp circuit where more than one receptacles is being served. The purpose of the shutters is to only allow connection when both the hot and neutral prongs enter the receptacle at the same time. This was done because of the number of children who were and are being injured by sticking metal objects into receptacles. You did not say if this problem was happening on all the receptacles or just one of them. Sounds like a bad receptacle and replacement would solve the proble.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 02:11 pm
@psilversmith,
If it were me with this problem, I'd contact the electrician and have him fix the problem receptacle/receptacles. Clearly there's a functional problem that he should have caught.
0 Replies