Witchcraft - a religion, just a cult or what?

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
I have always been curious about this topic.

Is witchcraft an early nature related religion or cult?
Do you believe in Witches and their power?
If there are real Witches, will you try to find then? Why?
Will you be afraid of them?
Will you trust them and ask for their help or assistance?
What will you ask of them?
I know there is bad and good everywhere but do you think they are all bad?
What is your opinion regarding the trials and killings of the so called witches back in history by the church?

and last but not least,

What do you think will happen at this time and point in life if they really exist and he church finds them out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,505 • Replies: 61
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:51 pm
Just as grown men with paint ball guns are still playing at cowboys and indians, most witches are still playing at dungeons and dragons.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:05 pm
So, will you say this is all nonsense?
I want to know peoples opinion about the whole thing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:08 pm
Well, about what witches at what time where do you want to have other's opinion?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:11 pm
Witchcraft is a blaming and scape goating system of beliefs. It is a paranoid world view that assumes that there are hidden evil people doing bad things through the medium of the supernatural. That explains why bad things happen to people. The evil people must be sought out and punished. The witch generally turns out to be some poor shmuck the community does not like anyways and this is an excuse to get rid of him/her. No one admits to being a witch, other accuse a person of being a witch. In this systems of belief nothing happens by chance, there is always an ultimate cause, the witch.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:12 pm
Try looking under Wicca. It is far more pervasive that you think....... It is a common religion being pushed on the youth.

The are both "good" wicca/wiccan and "evil".
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
In general - all witches at all time.
Do you think they will be different now from then and if you do, how so?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
My opinion is simple - I wish not to participate. I believe it is like liquor/drugs/smoking; if an adult wishes to practice it, so be it. A child should not be exposed to it until they are in their majority - they can't tell the "good" from the "evil".
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
I checked it out and I have an appointment with a witch for this weekend, she will answer my questions.

She said that she has been a witch since she was born 60 yrs ago, so, she should know what she's talking about.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
<<<< Puts on cloak and pentacle. >>>>
( witchy dance )
now we are talking.

:-)

yes, witchcraft is a religion. though the word ISNT. the word is just that .. a word.. it describes what people of a religion DO.. just like prayer is a word.. not a religion.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
Bill - I do think that no child should be expose to anything like that until they can choose for themselves.

You go She! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:36 pm
Wicca is a religion, witchcraft is not. Modern Wicca was established by Gerald Gardner http://www.bcholmes.org/wicca/gardner.html. Modern Wicca can be best described as a neo-pagan, earth-centered religion, based on a centuries-old European tradition. Every culture has their 'witches', described by many names, so it does get confusing. Those who call themselves witches, or Wiccans, generally mean no harm. The creed goes that any negative energy they put out reflects back on them threefold. That's not a happy scenario. As for my personal beliefs, it doesn't matter. I'm just laying down facts here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
Rayvatrap wrote:
In general - all witches at all time.
Do you think they will be different now from then and if you do, how so?

Actually, I wanted at first to reply seriously .... but your later reesponse ...
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:49 pm
Well, based on what I have read on one of my sys's research books, witches cannot use their power for evil unless they make some sort of pact with the devil, otherwise, they will loose their powers.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:56 pm
Walter - I am looking for serious facts, after putting up with my sister and all her digging up long ago dead people and investigation of ruins, all over the world; I have become fascinated Razz by these topic and a few others.

Witches were seeing - in different cultures - in many different way, good and bad.

So, I want to know what is the modern concept of a witch.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
oops.. i posted twice..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
> gearing up <

Finally... a thread i can talk in. And I will talk alot. Like usual. Smile

Witchcraft ... hmm.. I dont know where to begin.
Wicca, the religion of 'witches' has long been shrouded in secrecy. Anyone interested in learning the craft had to content to hints and notes from books since witches were not talking in fear of retalliation , death, and social attack.
People seem to be searching for a personally-involving religion wich celebrates both physical and spiritual realities and wicca is just such a religion . Centering around reverence for nature as seen in the Goddess and God. Its spiratual roots in antiquity , acceptance of magick and mysterious nature have made it particulary appealing. New age kids seem to attract to this religion looking for a way to 'rebel'.. usually leave when they find there is nothing to rebel against.. Wiccans dont 'push' to change people.. at least true wiccans dont . There is always a few sour apples in the pie though. And they do force , judge, scream and shout to try to get people to 'change'. ( christians have the same sour apples in thier religion )
Wiccans dont solicit because unlike most western religions , it doesnt claim to be the one true way to Diety. Just releishes in the diffrent path.
Wicca is a personal POSITIVE celebration of life. All religions should be just that though... personal.
There is no such thing as evil / black magic etc.. just intent. Just like you can pray to cause harm, you can create evil in wicca. Your intent judges and dictates your actions in wicca just like any other religion.
Unlike other religions , wicca doesnt view Diety as distant ( sky gods, clouds ,heaven etc..) The goddess and god are both within ourselves and manifest in all nature. This is the universality : there is nothing that isnt of the gods.
Wicca helps its practitioners to understand the universe and our place in it. At present , wicca is a religion with many variations . Simply because it is such a personally - structured system ( i can only state generalities about its creed and form)
Wicca , in common with many other religions recognizes Diety as dual. It reveres both Male and Female as equal and here, not distant or resident in 'heaven' but omnipresent throughout the universe. It also teaches that the physical world is one of many realities. The physical is NOT absolute nor is the spiritual 'purer' then the base. The only difference between the two is that the physical is thicker and we can see / hear/ touch it etc...
As in eastern religions, wicca also embraces the concept of reincarnation.
The wiccan idea of morality is simple. Do as you wish, harm noone. The same basic principal in ALL religions that are worth thier weight in salt... eastern/ and western.
wicca utilizes magic.It is the most appealing feature to it . MANY other religions use the same thing. Catholics? they use magic. The priests use 'magic' to transform a piece of bread into the 'body of christ'. Prayer-a common tool is simply a form of concentration and communication with Diety..... wich is what magic is. Just spelled diffrently.
Wicca isnt evil, neither is magic. Magic is simply extreme focus and communications with higher powers / gods/ goddess/ etc..
a good summary ..wicca is a joyus union with nature. The earth is a manifestation of divine energy . Wicca's templates are flower splashed meadows , forrests , and deserts. -meaning- when a wiccan is outside she/he is is actually surrounded by sanctity , much as is a chrisitian in a church or cathedral.

Blessed be
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:09 pm
In my lifetime, a Wiccan has always had to, for the most part, keep silent about their choice of religion. They always get negative reactions from the Christian majority.

I don't judge those who choose Wiccan as a belief system. I say...to each his own.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:11 pm
Me too. I dont care WHAT religion someone has. I just respect that people actually Do adopt a religion and are willing to stand up for what they believe. Noone has died and lived to tell about what happens afterwords.. there for noone really knows. we all just function on that little 5 letter word

-faith-
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:25 pm
She - That was a great disclosure of information, thank you.

I don't belong to any religion but I do believe there is a higher power - God/Goddess - and I respect everybodys choice and expect everybody to respect my choice. Very Happy
0 Replies