Philosophy

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2015 06:54 pm
If something put us here in this universe, this life time, this illusion, whatever, I would like to hear three reasons why we might be in a place like this, without any real answers?
For example -We are here because its all a test of how we will treat each other (which I do not necessarily believe)
-We are here because, this is where we go over and over "reincarnation"
-We are here because, this is all that there is and then we go back to dust and our energy cycles back into the universe until the next ones are put in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,106 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 07:43 am
@cvaontology,
cvaontology wrote:

If something put us here in this universe, this life time, this illusion, whatever, I would like to hear three reasons why we might be in a place like this, without any real answers?

If there is a purpose, it would mean we are confined to that purpose. It would become a cage in a sense like dictating to an artist what they are suppose to paint. There is no freedom if there is a set defined purpose to your question.

cvaontology wrote:

For example -We are here because its all a test of how we will treat each other (which I do not necessarily believe)

A test also doesn't make any sense if the test was structured by a god and this same god was all knowing. It doesn't make any sense that a test would be necessary. It would know the results of the test long before it even created the test. Unless this god is NOT all knowing, then it would make sense to design a test. However; the purpose of a test is also suspect because what is the motivation behind it?

cvaontology wrote:

-We are here because, this is where we go over and over "reincarnation"

I am not a fan of this one either. Because I simply don't see a method by which it can be carried out. At the same time if you don't remember your previous lives what's the point in living over and over again? It would be like trying to reach a destination but you never get there and instead have to return to the starting line each attempt. You can never progress if you do not remember your previous existence.

cvaontology wrote:

-We are here because, this is all that there is and then we go back to dust and our energy cycles back into the universe until the next ones are put in.

I lean more towards this however; I have a problem with the way in which you word this. I think that once you die, you are dead and you are unaware that you are dead. The universe will continue on without you being aware of it. I know people don't like this idea because they place a huge value on their consciousness and are afraid of the idea of losing it. But anything other than this has huge consequences that are never considered and almost always ignored once they are brought up. However; it is the most likely.

From out of no where, we all return to no where. It is poetic.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:56 pm
@cvaontology,
Try re-considering those words "something" and "we". Ostensibly these terms refer to potentially independent (objective) ontological entities. But a transcendent position might be that all "things" are evoked by that form of communicative process termed "language" which seems unique to humans.
This position is an aspect of a view of "reality as a social construction". It may be that terms like "purpose" or "selves" have no more biological significance than they would for ants operating in a holistic colony. Thus anthropocentric questions such as you ask may be no more than epiphenomena of human language.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:03 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Try re-considering those words "something" and "we". Ostensibly these terms refer to potentially independent (objective) ontological entities. But a transcendent position might be that all "things" are evoked by that form of communicative process termed "language" which seems unique to humans.
This position is an aspect of a view of "reality as a social construction". It may be that terms like "purpose" or "selves" have no more biological significance than they would for ants operating in a holistic colony. Thus anthropocentric questions such as you ask may be no more than epiphenomena of human language.

Damn...you took the words right out of my mouth!
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:10 pm
Why are men on this planet?

That's easy.

Because there are WOMEN, here, that's why!
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Damn...you took the words right out of my mouth!

Heh, good one, Frank.

Who the hell would think this?: ".. all "things" are evoked by that form of communicative process termed "language..."
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:14 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Why are men on this planet?

That's easy.

Because there are WOMEN, here, that's why!

did captain Kirk say that?
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:15 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:

Probably. He was a man, wasn't he?
Krumple

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:25 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Well the fact that he loved aliens so much, I kinda wonder if he really was.

layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
This position is an aspect of a view of "reality as a social construction".

Got a position on this, Frank? About what reality is, I mean?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:29 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

layman wrote:

Quote:

Well the fact that he loved aliens so much, I kinda wonder if he really was.

Ummmm...ah, never mind.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2K-yl1sl1ag/hqdefault.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ad/09/93/ad099364961041483cf233f7455b2cd3.jpg

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/0/0/3/3/2/5/0/6/5/3551665303_top_25_star_trek_characters_20090507044501865.jpeg
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:32 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
This position is an aspect of a view of "reality as a social construction".

Got a position on this, Frank? About what reality is, I mean?

I have a position on "descriptions and attempts at understanding REALITY"...as social constructs, Layman.

That always seems to be the problem...differentiating between REALITY...and attempts to understand it, describe it, and discuss it.

I have no problem myself keep the two straight...but some here have that problem.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You can't cheat Frank, seven of nine wasn't an alien.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 05:22 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

You can't cheat Frank, seven of nine wasn't an alien.

Yeah...lots of questions about the Borg. But I will grant that she was a human...who was assimilated. So she can be removed.

What a great set of eyes she had!

Some of Kirk's alien conquests were fine!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 02:07 am
Kirk and the Borg ?? You guys need to get a grip on reality ! Very Happy
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 05:44 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Kirk and the Borg ?? You guys need to get a grip on reality ! Very Happy

Another good one, Fresco. I'm beginning to think we could do a couple of brews together and laugh it up.
layman

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 09:57 pm
I asked this question earlier, but got no answer:

Quote:
Who the hell would think this?: ".. all "things" are evoked by that form of communicative process termed "language..."

Anybody?....anybody?....Bueller?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 10:11 pm
Quote:
Curious to see whether the then-non-peer-reviewed postmodern cultural studies journal Social Text (published by Duke University Press) would publish a submission which "flattered the editors' ideological preconceptions," Sokal submitted a grand-sounding but completely nonsensical paper entitled "Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity."

Make me wonder if Fresco has ever been published, ya know?

Quote:
The journal did in fact publish it, and soon thereafter Sokal then revealed that the article was a hoax in the journal Lingua Franca, arguing that the left and social science would be better served by intellectual underpinnings based on reason. He replied to leftist and postmodernist criticism of the deception by saying that his motivation had been to "defend the Left from a trendy segment of itself."

Figures that they would want to criticize the author, rather than the chumps who published the paper, eh? Sokal noted that:

Quote:
The editors of Social Text liked my article because they liked its conclusion: that ‘‘the content and methodology of postmodern science provide powerful intellectual support for the progressive political project’’ [sec. 6]. They apparently felt no need to analyze the quality of the evidence, the cogency of the arguments, or even the relevance of the arguments to the purported conclusion.

Hmm, where have I seen that method of "analysis" before?

Quote:
But why did I do it? I confess that I'm an unabashed Old Leftist who never quite understood how deconstruction was supposed to help the working class. And I'm a stodgy old scientist who believes, naively, that there exists an external world, that there exist objective truths about that world, and that my job is to discover some of them

Geez, how naïve could ya possibly get, eh? Just wait until I tell Fresco about this fool!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sokal#Sokal_affair

fresco

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 12:57 am
@layman,
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/davidrs1/einstein%20ears_zpsjqygekt6.jpg
fresco

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 01:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Careful Frank, layman's getting jealous ! Mr. Green