GAS TANK FILL UP

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:49 am
Recently for the last few weeks, when ever I try to fill up, I am able to put in a bout a half a gallon before the pump turns off. After the first half gallon the pump will stop every $.04 unless I wiat a littlewhile. It appears as if something is preventing me from filling up. Is this a common problem with an easy solution? some one at the gas station told me to use a gas treatment like dry gas, but I can not figure out how this will help. About a month and half ago I found my Gas Tank door open (the gas cap was still on), I am not sure if this has anything to do with my problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,534 • Replies: 9
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:11 am
Indeed, it is best to remove the gas cap prior to attempting to put the gas in the tank. Most experts agree that this will expedite the gas intake procedure and allow the car to run more efficently. Of course, I'm kidding.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:22 am
I don't know. Are you using the same station or pump each time? Since I can't imagine your car refusing gas, I'm thinking there is a defect in the pump sensor.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:27 am
Most of these nozzles have a cut off valve that is pressure activated. Your tank my be producing excess vapors thus have excess pressure, but I can't think why. Another possibility is that you may be placing the nozzle in the tank at the wrong angle and splash beck it causing the nozzle to cut off.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
I've had this happen a few times, but not repeatedly, and only at particular pumps (usually ones with a very high rate of flow) and in particular cars. I could usually get a steady flow by not squeezing the handle all the way, so that the flow is a little lighter.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:41 am
This is not unusual pdog. It's actually the pump that shuts down, not your car. Pumps shut down automatically when the flow becomes too heavy. Now that you mention it, I have this happen too as well as everyone else.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
Ah. It happened especially frequently in one car (a Buick), so I figured it had something to do with the angle of the, um, the tube you put the gas nozzle into.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:49 am
Check your owner's manual.

Our 2004 Chrysler Pacifica manual says:

CAUTION
To avoid fuel spillage and overfilling, do not 'top off' the fuel tank after filling. When the fuel nozzle 'clicks' or shuts off, the fuel tank is full."

Let me know if your manual says something similar.
0 Replies

whatthewtf

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:07 am
I had this problem at Costco the other day. What they do is they have 3 rates of pressure the gas fills the tank at. Some cars require the slower ones or else the gas wont enter. Now they fill up our gas for us in oregon so i dont know about you, but it may be something like this.
0 Replies

Greg

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
ford econoline 150 gas tank fill problem
The problem is not the gas pump. The anti siphon device inside the fill tube gets stuck and prevents fuel from entering the fuel cell at an acceptable rate. Probably due to someone trying to take fuel from your tank with a hose. unfortunately this results in a costly repair. The solution is to drop the fuel tank and remove the debris.
0 Replies