Anyone hear like blues?

ossobuco

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 02:14 pm
@layman,
I do remember a period when the word cool wasn't cool anymore, and then it was cool again. Alas, but not the dates I noticed those changes.

I'm one who instructed her boss - when he was telling a story to the gathered folks - that the word wasn't hip, it was hep.
Always behind the curve.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 02:21 pm
Speaking of early blues/rockers covered by the Beatles, one of my favorites is the (now) little-known Larry Williams, from New Orleans. They covered at least 3-4 of his tunes that I'm aware of, including this one, of course:

0 Replies

panzade

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 05:36 pm
@layman,
Quote:
sometimes even to the point of thinking the original artist "stole" it from the later one.

Yeah, like Muddy stole this one from Led Zep Very Happy

layman

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 06:25 pm
@panzade,
Zep were the worst thieves in modern music. They eventually gave credit for the songs they stole, but only after getting caught red-handed so many times. What were they thinkin?

Here's a tune from the great slide guitarist in the Elmore James (his mentor) tradition, JB Hutto, Chicago blues great. JB was notoriously sloppy in his articulation and some never understood his lyrics. I can (usually) understand him, but I may have to hear it 3-4 times first. People didn't really care. His guitar and swag alone was enough to make him enormously popular at clubs.

CHALLENGE to those who care to take it up: What the hell is JB sayin in this tune? Hint: First line: "Took the house down to the paper....

0 Replies

layman

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
Eric Clapton, It was a ninety minute. I was so surprised how an English rocker knew so much about the History of American Blues.

I meant to comment on this earlier, Arg. Yeah, Clapton has an extensive knowledge of the blues and has (in his mature years) become very adept at recreating early blues. He did an entire album containing nothing but Robert Johnson songs.

I used to hate his so-called "blues," such as the popular version of Crossroads he made with Cream that sold so many copies at the time. But now I can't think of a more accomplished, nuanced, and skilled blues player/singer who is a white limey boy.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 9 Mar, 2015 09:22 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Goin Up The Country

A recurring phrase in blues, but it usually makes me think of this tune by good ole Mississippi John Hurt. John could finger-pick with the best of them--Elizabeth Cotton/piedmont style.

Doncha let....
my good girl catch you here....
She might shoot ya....
cut ya clean half in two....
aint no tellin just what....
she might do.

The melody here is taken from an even older tune called "Make me a pallet on your floor." I'll post a version of that, by and by.
0 Replies

vonny

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 04:42 am
I listen to a lot of blues; at the moment it's the Mississippi hill country blues singers like Mississippi Fred McDowell and R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.

(McDowell singing You Gotta Move which was covered by the Rolling Stones).

I'm into the delta bluesmen too - love Mississippi John Hurt - his version of Stagger Lee is great.

0 Replies

vonny

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 04:55 am
In the UK we have Van Morrison of course - he covered two songs by Sonny Boy Williamson the 2nd - Help Me and Take Your Hands Out Of My Pocket.

FBM

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 05:14 am
@vonny,
Van Morrison! One of my all-time favorites! In my opinion, he's been vastly under-appreciated over the years.
vonny

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 05:32 am
@FBM,
From my home town of Newcastle we had Eric Burdon - once of The Animals - who sang House of the Rising Sun - he had a good blues/soul voice.

FBM

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 05:43 am
@vonny,
Very Happy Another blast from my past.

vonny

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 02:30 pm
@FBM,
Eric's still going - in his 70's now!

FBM

Tue 10 Mar, 2015 06:37 pm
@vonny,
Good stuff, too!
0 Replies

vonny

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:42 pm
Love this one ...

layman

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:45 pm
Good one, vonny. I already posted it, actually. But it's another example of what I said in connection with Hurt's "Aint no tellin." It contains one of many recurring uses of the phrase "up the country," or "goin up the country" in blues tunes.

I was referring to the Blind Willie tune when I posted this. I now see one by John Lee...let me check that one out.
layman

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:48 pm
@vonny,
I see it's Skip James, not John Lee Hooker, now. In that portrait, James looks a lot like John. I didn't look at the title--another classic tune, of course!
0 Replies

vonny

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 04:32 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Good one, vonny. I already posted it, actually.

Oops - I've deleted it. Sorry about that. Hard to keep track. We like a lot of the same artists - I keep posting, then seeing you've beaten me to it!

layman

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 04:37 pm
@vonny,
Nice toon, vonny. One I haven't heard before. Gospel/spiritual music is the most direct forerunner of blues, and the two have a lot in common.

Only problem: One is the "devil's music," and one ain't.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 04:43 pm
@vonny,
Here Ledbelly uses gospel numbers to illustrate the changes in tempo which took place since the time of slavery:

glitterbag

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 08:30 pm
Don't forget some of the great blues artists that were women, Big Momma Thorton is the first one who comes to mind. Hound Dog was released in 1952 but only reached a large audience when Elvis then (shamefully) Pat Boone released their covers. She wrote Ball and Chain and it didn't become a well known song until Janis Joplin sang it at Monterey. Thorton also sang with the Muddy Waters band.