Anyone hear like blues?

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:09 am
@ossobuco,
I completely agree, Jo. Many versions of "Trouble in Mind" have been done, but that cut by Jonny and Snooky is one of the best, in my opinion.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
Heh, Lawdy. I never heard Seasick Steve before, but he's quite good. Anyone playing a John Lee Hooker boogie riff is aways good, but that's not the only reason this guy is.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thorogood has covered many great tunes, including a lot of Chuck Berry tunes, but I always liked this one, because George "chucked" it up even more than Berry himself did. By the time he's through, he's run through most of chuck's best licks.

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:42 am
@layman,
Here's another clip from the movie "Lackawana Blues." Robert Bradley, a blind street singer from Detroit, is doing a very nice cover of an Elmore James tune in the background, while Jeffrey Wright (a great actor who also played Muddy Waters in "Cadillac Records") tells a story about a little trouble he had with a woman. The first clip I posted (unless I've forgotten) featured Big Joe Turner playing in the background.

0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:46 am
Aint got no home--two versions

One's kinda somber

One aint, and has Asian Babes jitterbugging as background video

0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:24 am
Let's roll!

The "roll" part of rock and roll, from JB Lenoir, early 50's.

0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 03:16 am
A jumpin little tune from Howlin Wolf. "Highway 49" starts in Gulfport, Mississippi and heads northwest across Mississippi until it hits the Mississippi River a little north of Friar's Point. It joins up with the notorious highway 61 in Clarksdale (northwest Mississippi) and heads north toward Memphis with 61 before it cuts west to cross the river into Helena, Arkansas. Many a delta bluesman has gone up and down highway 49 (same with 61) playing on street corners and barrelhouses. Another one faithfully covered by Thorogood.

0 Replies

layman

Tue 28 Apr, 2015 01:59 am
Trouble in Mind (the melody) used by John Lee (Sonny Boy) Williamson to put his own lyrics, ostensibly about his hometown, Jackson, Tennessee (about 70 miles northeast of Memphis), to music.

Now, my Baby, she likes a Chevrolet....
But I believe I'll buy a V-8 Ford...
She say: Is he too fast....
to try to hold in the road?

0 Replies

layman

Tue 28 Apr, 2015 02:44 am
Big Maceo Merriwether (on piano) with his classic from 1941, Worried Life Blues. Maceo played a lot (as here) with slide guitarist Tampa Red (whittaker) who wrote and first recorded the classic "It Hurts Me Too." Tampa Red was a close friend of Big Bill Broonzy and played with Memphis Minnie, among others.

Big Maceo, Tampa Red, and Sonny Boy got together to cut this tune in 1945, which Sonny Boy had first recorded with Robert Nighthawk in 1937. It has the same melody as the tune he is probably best known for, "Hoodoo Man.'

0 Replies

layman

Fri 1 May, 2015 07:17 pm
Brownie MgGhee is a man of many talents. In addition to playing and singing some of the best blues on the planet, he has acted in Broadway plays and Hollywood movies. Turns out, he is also an expert auto mechanic, eh?

ossobuco

Fri 1 May, 2015 07:58 pm
@layman,
Thnks
layman

Fri 1 May, 2015 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Any time, Darlin.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 1 May, 2015 09:17 pm
@layman,
Can't post Brownie's automobile tune without it's predecessor, Robert Johnson's "Terraplane Blues," eh?

Imma git deep down in these connections....
keep on tanglin with your wires....
then when I mash down on your starter...
your spark plugs are gunna give me fire

0 Replies

layman

Fri 1 May, 2015 10:24 pm
This film, by Les Blank, features Lightnin Hopkins and friends (such as Mance Lipscomb) playing back down home in the 60s. It's about 30 minutes long, but you don't have to see it all to get a fair sense of rural Texas 50 years ago. It includes philosophical discussions about the blues and other topics from the one and only Lightnin hisself.

If you ask me, it's worth watching if only to see the dancing cowgirls.

Ionus

Sat 2 May, 2015 12:57 am
@layman,
That takes me back . I was never a black man, but I tried hard to be...only cause of the black girls dancing ability you understand...we had similar fashions in the country areas here . Funny thing about Australian soldiers was they would tend to ignore the white USA soldiers and drink with the black USA soldiers in Vietnam and in bars here . Their sense of fun was held in common and the music !! Not the blues, more Rhythm, but the 60's had some awesome black generated music, like Elvis (he's white, but his music was black inspired and he was cool), Aretha Franklin, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & the Pips, The Four Tops, The Drifters, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder...I think I'll go listen to some of them now .
0 Replies

layman

Sat 2 May, 2015 04:45 am
Robert Johnson's homey, Johnny Shines, doing an old Blind Willie Johnson song, "Nobody's Fault But Mine."

0 Replies

layman

Sat 2 May, 2015 05:53 am
John Brim, with Little Walter on harp and Eddie Taylor on guitar, cut this classic in 1953 for Chess Records. His wife, Grace normally played harp on his tunes. He cut several with Big Maceo on piano in 1950. Around the same time, Sunnyland Slim and Roosevelt Sykes also played piano (at different times) on his early recordings, and he played guitar on tunes by Jimmy Reed and Albert King in the early '50's. This song was a big hit for Van Halen also.

layman

Sat 2 May, 2015 08:44 pm
@layman,
Have I posted any tunes by Lazy Lester? I've forgotten now, and aint gunna go back and look through them all. Everyone else has also forgotten (if they ever knew to begin with), I figure, so what the hell. I like this one--just a simple blues tune with no frills; Lester blowin himself some swamp harp and playin straight-ahead guitar. Hello, Mary Lee!

0 Replies

layman

Sat 2 May, 2015 09:48 pm
Here's a Brownie and Sonny tune that was just posted on youtube last month. I've looked for it before but couldn't find it. It's called "Tell Me, Baby." It's primarily composed of so-called "floating lyrics," i.e. individual verses that frequently recur in various blues tunes. The melody also sounds quite familiar, but offhand I can't think of where I've heard it before. Whatever, I've always liked it, hope you do too:

0 Replies

layman

Sun 3 May, 2015 09:28 pm
This is one segment of a 4-5 part documentary called "The history of the blues." It has some interesting historical film footage and information, as well as songs and/or commentary from bluesmen like Howlin Wolf, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Skip James, Big Bill Broonzy, Brownie and Sonny, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, and others. In short, most of the greatest Delta bluesmen. Keith Richards and other contemporary musicians also comment. If you find it interesting enough to listen through, then you'll probably want you see the whole series. It's all on youtube, if you do.