Does detachment here mean "avoiding emotional involvement"?

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 11:11 am

Context:

‘a pattern of inappropriate and unmodulated desire to control others, implemented in a detached manner. There is a strong need to be independent, to resist being controlled by others, who are usually held in contempt. There is a willingness to use untamed aggression to back up the need for control or independence. The [antisocial personality] usually presents in a friendly, sociable manner, but that friendliness is always accompanied by a baseline position of detachment. He or she doesn’t care what happens to self or others’. (Benjamin, 1996, p. 197; emphasis added by GDG)

More:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015230/?report=printable
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 661 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 11:29 am
@oristarA,
Yes Ori, I'd say so. Hope you get further input from guys like Lay and Con
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 12:30 pm
@oristarA,
I agree with Dale. But when you say "avoiding emotional involvement," I tend to add an implied "with others" to the sentence. Maybe that's not how you mean it, and I'm just reading into it.

The last sentence may imply a little more though. It says: "He or she doesn’t care what happens to self or others." Since he purportedly doesn't care about either himself, or others, the "detachment" seems to be from all personal and inter-personal concerns whatsoever. If so, I guess you could just use the word "apathetic" instead. But that term is, at least in some ways, different than the phrase "avoiding emotional involvement. Or so it seems to me--maybe not.

Apathetic means "without pathos" (feeling), as far as I know.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 01:42 pm
Also, avoiding implies choice; this personality type, it would appear, is incapable of emotional involvement.
0 Replies