Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:26 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,923 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:30 pm
frass, Welcome to A2K. You seem to be quite articulate in the English language. Are you a native of Argentina? How long have you lived there? I had the pleasure of visiting Buenos Aires in November 2000 when I cruised from Valparaiso, Chile, to Buenos Aires. We spent two days in Buenos Aires, and had the opportunity to visit LaBoca and the main shopping street, I think it's called Florida Street. We even visited the Pink Palace and Eva Peron's tomb.
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:49 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
frass, Welcome to A2K.
Hello C.I,

Thank you for your questions,as to myself I was born in Buenos Aires nearly 50 years ago,my mother she's English and native from England,my Father was a second geneartion Argentinian-Italian.I went to Collage in the UK,at "Mt.St.Mary's Collage, Spinkhill", and have travelled around South America,done farming in Uruguay and trecking in the south of Argentina,been fun! Now I'm working on travel and culture,that goes from art,antiques and collectbles, to well even to wines!

Yes,Florida is the road,and we have good leather as well..... feel free to come on down any time! Nice chatting with you,best wishes,Frass. (Thats what they used to call me back at collage!) Bob Frassinetti.

PS;Well I chatted about myself and you? Tell me some?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:19 am
Hi frass, I'm a 68 year old third generation Japanese American. I love to travel, and have visited over 80 countries - with many repeats to places in Europe. My most recent travels during the past two years have been to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos, trans-Canada train tour from Montreal/Toronto to Vancouver, and Japan on a buddhist pilgrimage. My future travel plans is a boat cruise from the Black Sea to Budapest in August, and a cruise to Antarctica in January 2005. London is one of my favorite destination, and have visited there often. Visited London in March 2003 for a A2K London Gathering for one week where I met kitchenpete, Gautam, McTag and Fiona, Steve, and Walter. Also saw three shows. I have friends in the UK, Germany, Egypt, Tanzania, France, Iran, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Canada, and all across the US. Although our background was very modest, most of my adult life has been very gratifying, and feel very fortunate.
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
Hello C.I,

Sorry for the slow answer,yes,you seem to be well travelled and forunate.Well I'm sure you will also find our city a fun town,maybe on your way to Antarctica,you could pass by and see a bit more,here goes an article I wrote on......

Leisure in the Big City

Buenos Aires has often been described as the Latin American Paris because of its beautiful architecture, excellent food experiences, rich cultural life and its devotion for fashion. And it is a fair comparison, according to locals and visitors experiences.

Located in the southern hemisphere of the American continent, this city's shores are bathed by the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, as well as the Rio de la Plata -across of which it is Uruguay-. As many other port side cities Buenos Aires has always taken advantage of its location, embracing all foreign influences -culturally, esthetically, socially and economically- and combining them with its local ones. All of this has resulted in one perfect blend of modernism and traditions.

For the last few decades Buenos Aires has devoted to show off its full potential. Our beautiful city of Tango has been hosting, for many years now, one of the most important Independent Film Festivals, as well as two of the most renamed Theatre and Music Festivals of all Latin America and the world, inviting great artists to show the world their performances through our stages. There has been an explosion of vanguard design exhibitions and shows, that have proven right all of those who thought of this city as a design Mecca who would set internationally recognized trends. All these experiences have enriched traditional ones, such as Art exhibitions and shows that have been taking place for many decades in the variety of Museums, Art Galleries and Art Centers located all through this great Metropolis.

In Buenos Aires there are options for all those who love to enjoy life.

Delight yourself coming to this wonderful city, take some time off your regular schedule for some pumpering and relax. Without loosing the advantages of this big city, such as great evening activities, dining experiences, exclusive shopping and up to the top activities, there is a variety of outstanding spas and health centres.

For this leisure in the big city option, you'll be able to go shopping in Buenos Aires to those incredible Argentinean and European stores, where you'll be able to buy those exquisite designs in local pesos, sight seeing at the ame time seeing your interests, so there's no need for you just to walk through the city like a regular tourist, but to visit those incredible places you love and have an excellent time out.

Florida St. is one of the world's most important pedestrian streets. This eleven squares promenade is one amazing shopwindow for leather goods of all kinds. Jackets, shoes, purses coats and all kinds of design items of the highest quality can be bought in this area. Our local designers -many of the best of them- have chosen this street to exhibit their creations. Prices are very accessible and quality is just over the top! Leather shopping is a must when in BA, for this capital city is not only the city of tango but also the head of a nation built upon what has always been our national industry, cattle growing, so leather goods and handcrafts have evolved together with our society and its passion for fashion and high class esthetics.

Also on Florida St. there is one of BA's greatest shopping malls Galerías Pacífico. At Galerías Pacífico the pleasure of shopping is combined with the richness of an everlasting expression of our artistic and architectural heritage. This place that now hosts one of the best shopping areas, was originally built up as a train station that would connect the northern part of the city with the central area (Palermo). However this never took place, and during the 1990s this incredible building was turned into a shopping mall. The ceiling is not just any ceiling, is a great central dome painted by five famous muralist painters -Spilimbergo, Urruchua, Colmerio, Castagnino, Berni- who have portrayed different subjects though nonetheless have achieved an amazing cohesion of shapes and colors. At Galerías Pacífico you'll find all the world's most exclusive stores such as Christian Dior, Cacharel, Prune, Ralph Lauren, etc, plus the outstanding local brands that are highly appreciated worldwide such as Chocolate, Laurencio Adot, Trosman, Jazmin Chebar, among many others.

Jewelry and couture can also be found in this amazing city. Strolling down Alvear Av. in the Recoleta Area we'll take you to the best jewelry stores in the city; Argentineans are very much fond of jewels so there are various types for you to choose from, traditional vintage ones, taylored made as well as vanguard modern ones, silver, gold, platinum, alpache, diamonds, all kinds of presious stones… your dream jewel can come true!

Around this very chick area you'll take be shopping and find all you came looking for, even those outfits you wanted to buy back home but turned out to be too expensive, here in Buenos Aires those same stores -Gucci, Dior, Ralph Lauren, Armani, Valentino, Versace- sell the very same collections in pesos (remember its three times cheaper that in dollars and a bit less than four times cheaper than in Euros).

After a long day out shopping you'd enjoy a great relax in one of our excellent spas, massages, aroma therapy, sauna, swimming a bit in the pool would help you to regain energy.

At night there's always something to do in the city of tango. Dinning out in our beautiful city is always a delight, local traditional Argentinean food, gourmet cooking, and world wide cousine are among the many options for each meal. This city is worldly known for its gourmet options as well as for the excellent wines. So you'll enjoy some of the worlds greatest wines and food, and if you're interested in wine tasting, there are many tailored tasting courses for you to take in an afternoon or even a day or two.

Of course you can't leave the city without enjoying the best of its music and dance…

Learn how to tango with the same teacher who trained Madonna when she played Evita.

Enjoy a great Argentinean wine while listening to the best jazz.

Hope you have enjoyed reading! Bob Frassinetti.
0 Replies

frenchmanltd

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:31 am
Re: Antiquing in Buenos Aires,Argentina.
I am going to Buenos Aires in October to look for graet antique stuff,
may i ask you more about the Solano fair and Dorrego market ?
When are they open ?

All my best
PhiL
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:34 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hi frass, I'm a 68 year old third generation Japanese American. I love to travel, and have visited over 80 countries - with many repeats to places in Europe.
Wow!..

I wish I'ld score such mileage. Does it mean you go abroad 3-4 times a year?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
Galitite, Yes. I travel about 3 or 4 times every year. This year, my wife and I visited Japan in April. At the end of August, I'll be visiting Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia-Herzogovenia, Croatia, and Hungary. In January 2005 I'll be on a 18 day cruise to Antarctica, and will be spending three days in Buenos Aires before the cruise. Last year, my wife and I did the trans-Canada train tour from Montreal/Toronto to Vancouver in August. In May, I did the Machu Picchu and the Galapagos tour with visits to Cuzco, Lima, and Guyaquil. In March, I went to London for one week for the first A2K London Gathering, and met some great A2K participants including Gautam, Steve, McTag, FionaB, Walter, and kitchenpete. In November 2002, I did the cruise from Valparaiso, Chile, to Buenos Aires, going around Cape Horn and visiting the southernmost city of the world, Ushuaia (where I will be visiting again on the Antarctic cruise).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:16 am
BTW, I have flown to the highest point on earth, Mt Everest; touched the water at the lowest point on earth of the Dead Sea; and have traveled to Fairbanks, Alaska, the northernmost city for me. Wink
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:14 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
In January 2005 I'll be on a 18 day cruise to Antarctica...
I wonder - is it easier to do from Argentina or Australia?

By the way, what about you last riddle about the bird view of a town?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:50 am
That's a picture of Acapulco, Mexico. I took that picture when we flew into Acapulco for our Panama Canal cruise on the Crystal Harmony. That was a special flight from Los Angeles to Acapulco of all Crystal passengers, and we were all served filet mignon steak for lunch with champagne. That's real class! Wink The 12 day cruise ended up in New Orleans where my wife and I spent three more nights. It was my second visit to NO, and my wife's first. We had dinner at Commander's Palace one night; that was a real treat. Emeril was one of the youngest head chef there before he started his own restaurants. The food was real special, but most of all, we remember the bread sufflate. Wink
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:10 pm
Looking for antiques in Argentina
Hi Phil,

Yes,you will just love BA,its just about full of small out of the way antique shops and markets,you have Solano fair way away from in the BA in places where only locales go, and Dorrego market named also as the MERCADO DE LAS PULGAS,Flea Market,in English .... wow,this will be just take you several days to check out, and then we have a new market that starts midnight Friady and ends around miday Saterday,but this one is really wild and dangerous,its only for the brave at heart to go..... its near the The Noria Bridge. Well I hope I've been of help,talk latter,Bob Frassinetti.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Hi Frass, I'll be in Buenos Aires for three days in January, and will be looking for lined leather gloves to take with me onwwards to Antarctica. If the price is right, I might be interested in buying two or three. I remember buying two high quality leather bags for my wife when I was in Buenos Aires in November 2002, so my expectations are really high - since you say that the peso is now cheaper against the US dollar. Where's the 'best' shop to buy lined leather gloves in Buenos Aires?
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:06 pm
Hi C.I,

Good,you'll find leather stuff easy to buy in down town BA, Floiria Street, I would say thats your best bet ....... morte information email me, cheers, Bob Frassinetti.
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:32 pm
Antarctica.
Antarctica ....... best bet from Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, its down all the way south of Argentina. Hope I have been of help, if you need more information I'll get it to you...... Bob Frassinetti
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:44 pm
Frass, Yup, we're catching our boat in Ushuaia. I can still remember the train ride in the park. The people who paid $120 from the boat for this tour did the same thing I did for $25. Wink
0 Replies