What's going to be the next big world event?

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:59 pm
Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel still occupies most of our discussions and media coverage. What do you think will be the next big event (sans the next election) that will be the subject of highly charged discussions on A2K? Craven is pretty good in predicting future events, so I wish he would start this one off to a good start. c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,501 • Replies: 30
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:52 pm
Know a guy that is a Stockbroker in CA - he says that he's 100% cash - well IHO the next big event is here in the US, and it's going to bring us to our knees - I just hate that kind of talk.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:58 pm
husker, Your stockbroker that's 100% cash is not too smart. If our economy hits the skids, so will the worlds, and there won't be anything that money will buy. Does he keep his cash under his mattress? LOL One thing that investors must have faith in is the economy of the US and the world. Without the production of products and services, money will have no value. The trick is to have one's investments diversified between cash, bonds, and equities - with the ratio based on one's risk tolerance.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
husker, Your stockbroker that's 100% cash is not too smart. If our economy hits the skids, so will the worlds, and there won't be anything that money will buy. Does he keep his cash under his mattress? LOL One thing that investors must have faith in is the economy of the US and the world. Without the production of products and services, money will have no value. The trick is to have one's investments diversified between cash, bonds, and equities - with the ratio based on one's risk tolerance.

CI - he's not my broker - and I agree with you 100%
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:08 pm
Terror attacks? There won't be anymore cause GWBush killed all the terrorists or put them in prison. Confused

Seriously...I think the next terrorist attack in the USA will be a well coordinated attack on shopping malls. That will accomplish two things the terrorists strive for:

Create fear in the hearts and minds of the American public.

Have a strong negative economic impact on our economy.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:52 pm
World-wide collapse of the McDonald's infrastructure.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:54 am
The Red Sox will finally win the world series.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
A terrorist attack at the Olympics this summer.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:37 pm
I'm sure it will be something like a new deadly virus that is causing epidemics in third world countries and health agencies warn that it might come into your own home.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:57 pm
Individual, I think you might have something; remembering the scare of SARS.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
Cicerone will drop cable for satellite.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
Anybody else notice these new weird "sponsored links"? All I did was type the word "cable" and the link appears automagically.

Wassup with that Craven?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 03:37 pm
Yeah, it won't really be much of an epidemic but people will freak out and buy every "cure" out on the market including echinacea and eldeberry extract.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
I agree; fear sells better than sex. Wink
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
Individual and CI,

I agree that it will be another "plague" scare and people will panic.

However, I think that if Bush is somehow re-eleced. there my be a civil war, like never seen before. Those that are fed up may take things into their hands and the long predicted class war of the US may become a reality. Should that happen, I feel that the military may step in and take over. Now, wouldn't that be something?

BTW, Wanna buy some fear?

Husker,

I don't think your friend, the stockbroker, is not too bright to be 100% cash. If the economy goes belly up, cash will have no value. You can only eat so much money before you need some change in diet. Very Happy Now, a beef ranch with good fencing and livestock, I would consider. If your friend isn't squeemish about doing his own butchering, gardening and either drying food or preserving it in some way.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:07 pm
If there was a civil war, it would definitely be between obese people and their doctors. Rosie will stand up one day (or rather, hunch under her own weight) and proclaim in front of Jenny Craig headquarters, "Hell no, we won't go!"

At least, that's how I envision it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
BBB
Craven will take up knitting or perhaps needlepoint.

c.i. will take up posing nude for painters in front of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sigh Cool

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
I don't foresee a civil war, but an intensification of the cultural war that's always been our heritage, regardless of who gets the election. I don't see an out to the war with terrorism, because nobody is making any moves that have a chance of stemming the rush to become martyrs in the cause against us. I fear that any more successful attacks on the US similar to 911 will trigger a real war for revenge. This time whole peoples may face genocide. New diseases, world depression are always a cheery scenario, but I don't have much feeling about them.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
This time whole peoples may face genocide.

Ivory coast?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:19 pm
Whoever catches blame for a successful 911 style attack.
0 Replies