Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
I've had hit-and-miss stuff since I started. Still don't fool myself into thinking that my last miss has any influence on my next odds.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/11214185_997767053578561_1261001543466850947_n.jpg
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
God must think so. But seriously, the lottery is just a tax on the poor.
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I have won every week since they started the lottery here. I never buy a ticket.

You bought the biggest lottery ticket of them all. You've gambled your whole existence on the chance that the invisible friend in the sky might be real and give you the jackpot of eternal existence in heaven. Me, I just drop ten bucks now and again, not really expecting much more than an occasional 5-dollar reduction in outlay. I'm fully aware that I'm just paying for entertainment.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:38 am
@Leadfoot,
I heard it was a tax on the stupid, but £2 is a small price to pay for a dream. I only do it now and again.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:39 am
@FBM,
I myself always failed to apply Pascal's wager...
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Seemed the cowardly option to me.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:40 am
@izzythepush,
Being stupid time to time feels reliefing specially if it just costs 2 pounds, normally stupiditty is so much more expensive... Wink
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
We're all still paying for Dubya's.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:22 am
@FBM,
Quote:
You've gambled your whole existence on the chance that the invisible friend in the sky might be real and give you the jackpot of eternal existence in heaven.
When I decided to 'gamble' on my invisible friend it wasn't for the eternal life thing. I just wanted to know WTF 'all this' is for. I was about 7 at the time and asked for that. Long story followed, won't bore you.

When I first opened a bible around age 21 (just out of curiosity, family was not religious) one of the first things I read was where it said 'Seek God first and everything else will be given to you.' I talked with my friend and said OK, that's what I want to do anyway, I'm kind of lazy and virtually incapable of doing anything I'm not interested in, so if I don't need to worry about my needs, I'll be free to seek answers about what God was all about.

I came from a poor family, went to a shitty trade school (radio/TV repairman), flunked out of college, got drafted but I never looked for a job, they always found me. In spite of having no degree or ambition I wound up in an engineering position (fun!), retired at 45, played with toys I built, met interesting people that wanted copies of them and became CEO of a company that built them (cause it was fun) and got more money than I can use in several lifetimes. And all that time I was most focused on 'finding the answer to life universe and everything'.

And yes, my invisible friend answered my first question to my full satisfaction. It was a good gamble, even if the eternal life thing wasn't in the cards.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Wooow !!! Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:48 am
I get a huge laugh out of the people who get a huge laugh out of the people who guess there is a god.

Most of the people who get a huge laugh out of the people who guess there is a god...are guessing there are no gods.

One thing about the people who guess there is a god...they at least announce that "there is a god"is their guess...although they do call it a "belief."

Most of the people who guess there are no gods...pretend they do not guess that there are no gods...apparently so that they can feel superior to the people who guess there is at least one.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 12:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You are a hoot. Very Happy

So, that's your example of "what passes for truth"?
neologist

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 01:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
You are a hoot. Very Happy
You wrote:
So, that's your example of "what passes for truth"?
No.
You asked what makes me chuckle.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I get a huge laugh at the people who like to fool themselves that they're reasonable, and not proselytising fanatics.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I get a huge laugh at the people who like to fool themselves that they're reasonable, and not proselytising fanatics.

Ahhh...good for you.

I get a huge laugh out of you, Izzy.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying-with-laughter.gif
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So much that you need a big picture to show how big a laugh it is.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:12 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You asked what makes me chuckle.

I asked you what passes for truth that makes you chuckle.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:13 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So much that you need a big picture to show how big a laugh it is.

Nope.

Just to show I love ya, Izzy.

I use much smaller pictures for people I don't.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I asked you what passes for truth that makes you chuckle.
You mean it's not self evident?
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Good for you. As long as you're not practicing your beliefs by preaching anti-vax crap, or denying children modern health care or education, or discriminating against people who aren't like you, or trying to force schools to teach the bible as if it were a history book, or knocking on my door on weekend mornings, then knock yourself out. Keep your childhood invisible friend in the sky as long as you need. No skin off my teeth. But as long as you post bad ideas online, expect to be challenged on them.