Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

FBM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:35 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You confuse faith with credulity

The former is an example of the latter, seems. Gullibility is another word we could split hairs over. When you have at best sham evidence and mix in a double portion of desire, a strong current of fear (of death/non-being), you get all kinds of willingness to go with what dispels your anxieties and fulfills your desires. It's at the heart of religions, wishful thinking and delusions. If you weren't credulous with regards to a specific topic, you wouldn't have faith. You'd demand solid evidence.
neologist

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 09:59 am
@FBM,
My faith relies on neither hope of reward nor desire for license.
Anecdotal and circumstantial evidence does not seem to be considered evidence in this thread, so I am where I am.

Chuckling under my breath over what passes for truth.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 10:53 am
@neologist,
So, the promise of living forever in paradise has no bearing on your faith?

What passes for truth that makes you chuckle?
FBM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:21 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

My faith relies on neither hope of reward nor desire for license.
Anecdotal and circumstantial evidence does not seem to be considered evidence in this thread, so I am where I am.

Chuckling under my breath over what passes for truth.

Anecdotes are only stories that cannot be verified. Circumstantial evidence can be weak or strong. Yours is weak. Very. You'll have to provide more if you want this defendant to be declared innocent.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
So, the promise of living forever in paradise has no bearing on your faith?
Got me interested; I'll say that.
Then I discovered the laundry list of lies preached by the clergy.
Nowhere else could I find anything like it.
And, there's John 13: 34,35

InfraBlue wrote:
Laughing
FBM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:56 pm
Seems to me that you can make the Bible say whatever you want it to say:

https://www.facebook.com/ebiblefellowship

http://nation.com.pk/international/06-Oct-2015/ebible-fellowship-predicts-world-will-end-tomorrow

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/christian-group-says-the-world-will-be-permanently-annihilated-on-wednesday/#.VhP9S_243Mc.facebook

Quote:
Christian group says the world will be permanently ‘annihilated’ on Wednesday

ile our planet may have survived September’s “blood moon”, it will be permanently destroyed on Wednesday, 7 October, a Christian organization has warned.

The eBible Fellowship, an online affiliation headquartered near Philadelphia, has based its prediction of an October obliteration on a previous claim that the world would end on 21 May 2011. While that claim proved to be false, the organization is confident it has the correct date this time.

“According to what the Bible is presenting it does appear that 7 October will be the day that God has spoken of: in which, the world will pass away,” said Chris McCann, the leader and founder of the fellowship, an online gathering of Christians headquartered in Philadelphia.

“It’ll be gone forever. Annihilated.”

McCann said that, according to his interpretation of the Bible, the world will be obliterated “with fire”.

The blood moon – a lunar eclipse combined with a “super moon” – occurred without event on 27 September. This was despite some predictions that it would herald the beginning of the apocalypse. Certain religious leaders had said the blood moon would trigger a chain of events that could see our planet destroyed in as little as seven years time.

According to this new prediction, however, there will be no stay of execution. On the day of 7 October, the world will end.

“God destroyed the first earth with water, by a flood, in the days of Noah. And he says he’ll not do that again, not by water. But he does say in 2nd Peter 3 that he’ll destroy it by fire,” McCann said.
neologist

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:21 pm
@FBM,
When I fist saw the link, I thought I saw edible bible fellowship.
Just me, I guess.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 11:36 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Laughing

Can't quite articulate it, huh?
neologist

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 11:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
You are a hoot. Very Happy
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:07 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Seems to me that you can make the Bible say whatever you want it to say:

I dunno, when it says 'No man knows when it's going to happen' , that seems pretty clear.
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:36 am
@Leadfoot,
And there's a long history of people claiming that the Babble tells them exactly on what day it's going to happen. None of them right yet. Go figure. If scientists were that wrong that often, they'd be out of a job. But the religitards keep plugging along, unhindered by basic reasoning or their history of abject failures.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:54 am
@FBM,
Quote:
If scientists were that wrong that often, they'd be out of a job. But the religitards keep plugging along, unhindered by basic reasoning or their history of abject failures
We can't fire them but I quit on them a long time ago. They will get their day in front of the Boss when the time comes though.
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
They will get their day in front of the Boss when the time comes though.

More claim. Still waiting for evidence.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:05 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Don't hold your breath. "For no man knoweth the hour..."
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:10 am
@FBM,
A long time ago I heard a programme about doomsday cults on Radio 4. Strangely enough, when the predicted end of the world fails to materialise membership actually goes up. They couldn't really explain why, but thought it might be viewed as a second chance to grasp 'salvation.'

People aren't rational.
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:13 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Don't hold your breath. "For no man knoweth the hour..."

Tell that to all your folk who claim to. There's no paucity of them.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:15 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A long time ago I heard a programme about doomsday cults on Radio 4. Strangely enough, when the predicted end of the world fails to materialise membership actually goes up. They couldn't really explain why, but thought it might be viewed as a second chance to grasp 'salvation.'

People aren't rational.

Got that right. Every time my lottery ticket is a miss, I have to figure that my chances are better on the next one I buy. Rolling Eyes
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:20 am
@FBM,
I've actually had quite a bit of success on the lottery recently, nothing to write home about, just the odd few quid here and there. Overall it's probably still a loss though.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
I have won every week since they started the lottery here. I never buy a ticket.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Are you a worthy cause then?