Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 10:58 am
@argome321,
Yes. Yes it would be. Religion benefits no one. Just gives the individual a false sense of superiority.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:42 pm
@argome321,
Its interesting that you mention this subject because it is true that most religion has been responsible for the hostility and bloodshed that has taken place. Even many of those religions claming to be Christian have played a part in that they were the main religions in the first and second world wars taking the lead in fighting each other. German Catholics killing American and Italian Catholics and vise versa due to blind faith. No wonder many feel that the world would be better off without any religion. But interestingly the Bible does not encourage blind faith, but instead encourages that a person use their power of reason in connection with their faith. See Romans 12:1 ''Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodiesa as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.''
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:45 pm
Anthony wrote:
But interestingly the Bible does not encourage blind faith,

Pure, unadulterated bovine excrement..

Have you ever read the bible?
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:55 pm
@timur,
Please consider Romans 12:1
timur

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:59 pm
@anthony1312002,
Please consider Exodus 34:14

in the bible someone wrote:
for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God--

I could go on and on...

anthony1312002

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:08 pm
@timur,
What is the point in connection with this text?
timur

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:09 pm
@anthony1312002,
Blind faith..
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:19 pm
@timur,
How does this show blind faith? Your supposing that the person making this statement is doing so without the benefit of understanding that this individual had an established relationship with his Creator based on love and respect. Much in the same way a child would view loving parents who have always taken care of it. Such a relationship would motivate the child to express to others their admiration and love because of the way he or she has lovingly been taken care of.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:41 pm
@timur,
"I could go on and on..."
Please do.... Enlighten us... I would like to see something that actually makes your point.
timur

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:45 pm
@onevoice,
John 20:29
Quote:
Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:48 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKRLvG-UMAA470v.png
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:16 pm
@timur,
And? You said you could go on and on... That's just one. Smile
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:20 pm
@izzythepush,
No thank you. Been there, done that, bought the t shirt, then threw it away. I graduated from high school many years ago and have no intentions of stepping back into that kind of childish drama zone. Well, unless I find a good one. It's been 12+ years and counting... Lol
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:21 pm
@onevoice,
Is it the no hats that puts you off?
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Why yes... Yes it is! How'd ya guess!
FBM

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:40 pm
The phrase "blind faith" is redundant. Faith is by definition blind. Faith is in relation to that which is unseen, undetected, undetectable and for which one has no credible evidence. It is also a category error, attributing spatio-temporal qualities to something that has never been shown to be more than an abstraction.
Dropship

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:50 pm
Onevoice said- "Religion benefits no one. Just gives the individual a false sense of superiority"
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just look around mate, atheists are jumpy, irritable, uptight and humourless, I've just been spending some time in an atheist forum and it was like a nuthouse in there..Smile
But Christians are cool, calm, fearless and goodnatured so in that respect Christians are superior in every way..Smile

"..as a Christian, thank God you bear that name....that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16, Col 4:12)

"My Christian faith has been such a backbone through so many difficult times. For me Christianity is about being strengthened"- Bear Grylls
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/b-grrylls.gif

"God makes His reality so obvious to us in His creation and in the little mini-miracles that happen everyday"- Becky St. James
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/chr-wom3_zps84bd548a.jpg~original

"To look out at this kind of creation out here and not believe in God is to me impossible, it just strengthens my faith"- John Glenn
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/John-Glenn_zps2f7c8414.jpg~original

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:43 pm
@onevoice,
I can tell you've got a lot of hats. You sound like a very well hatted person.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:06 pm
It's the reincarnation of Romeo Fabulini.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:14 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
The phrase "blind faith" is redundant. Faith is by definition blind. . .
Sorry.
No.
Take for example trial jurors who convict on circumstantial evidence. In the US, all 12 must agree and, in good faith, discharge their verdict.

The idea that faith is synonymous with credulity, or that faith requires repudiation of science is misleading, at best, if not spurious.