a poor joke, poor taste or intimidation?

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:04 am
Fascinating;
Reading through this thread, I've had to reassess my thoughts numerous times; the one thing that continually recurrs to me an "outsider" to your system, is how does the aspect that this is a country that engages in approved murder as punishment for murder weigh in this arguement?
I personally try to use humour to defuse situations, thus allowing a more reasonned approach to prevail. But this could hardly be claimed here; it appears to be wanton disregard for the rights/feelings of all concerned; perhaps an aspect of the gruesome beliefs (eye for an eye) behind the system?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:20 am
IMo, it is a bad taste joke. I do not think that any action should be taken against the attorneys mentioned, except obliging them to put on ties with neutral pattern.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:26 am
a poor joke, poor taste or intimidation
Such a display would certainly negate one premise which is innocent until proven guilty. The state of mind of these alleged professionals leaves no question in my mind that they wish to hang the defendant.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:47 am
I think the defense team should wear ties saying
"Donnie's a Jackass" and "Cameron's a Doofus"
After all, it's freedom of speech, and it would be the truth!

How d'ya like them apples?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:47 am
Hmm, fascinating thread. The irony in this case to me is that if it was the defence who had worn the tasteless ties, it probably would have helped their case, at least in terms of jury sympathy. As for the ADAs, well, they don't all graduate top of the class....
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 12:25 pm
Hang 'em high.
They even brought their own tools, already applied, ready to use.

I agree with Dys and others... The judge is like the captain of a ship, and should call all the shots no matter what it takes to keep things civil, fair, and working well. No chewing gum. No reading newspapers. No wearing a hat in the courtroom. Required to stand, required to sit. Required to speak, required to be silent. I've seen these all enforced.

So no tasteless or disruptive clothing either. It's hardly productive!

Both prosecution and defense are applying to the judge for him to provide a service. If they want a court case to be run, they have to follow the rules of the court, the judge's rules. If you have contempt for the honorable judge, then you'll get nothing from him and there's no point in going to court.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 12:45 pm
There are parts of the country where capital punishment is taken rather lightly. Executions are relatively routine, in Texas, for example, so this kind of "joke" might have seemed like no big deal to the attorneys who wore the ties.

And the right of defendants to receive an appropriate defense in a capital case tends to be a joke, too...
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:05 pm
I am certain that the Model Rules of Professional Conduct adopted by the American Bar Association in the early eighties, provides guidelines as to what an attorney may or may not do in dealing with the court and/or his or her client and opposing counsel and their clients.
It would be a poor defense lawyer indeed who did not make an objection in this case with regard to the ties.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:14 pm
Jespah, is that a Boxer you have as an avatar? Just curious!!

On the subject, I think the judge is intelligent enough to get around the game playing of the ties. It's all for show. We all know it is a bunch of bull doing something like this. Who thought lawyers were so upstanding anyway? Do you really think the legal profession that is destroying free enterprise with their class action suits that benefit no one but the lawyer are a bit lower than dirt? They are.

The legal profession made their lousy reputation. The profession stands by them with much more acts that benefit their profession to the expense to all than wearing a tie. I see this as a minimal crime that lawyers commit every single day of their slimy profession.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
wildflower63: whats your solution?
0 Replies