a poor joke, poor taste or intimidation?

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:49 am
Gretna, Lousiana:
Two assistant district attorneys were rebuked for wearing ties decorated with a hangman's noose and the Grim Reaper in a capital murder case. Jefferson Parrish Distraci Attorney Paul Connick said he told Donnie Rowan and Cameron Mary that the ties were inappropriate. Defense attorney Clive Stafford Smith accused Rowan and Mary of making light of the possibility that his client, Lawrence Jacobs, could get the death penalty if convicted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,493 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:04 pm
dyslexia- I think that wearing those ties were not only in extremely poor taste, but totally unprofessional. I think that those jokers should be censured.

It's one thing to wear something like that at a party with your peers (I have a strange sense of humor. I would probably think that it was hilarious). It is quite another to wear those ties while you are in your official capacity, with a human being's life at stake. Shame on them!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:20 pm
I think they should be sacked. Frivolity and capital punishment aren't good bedfellows.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:31 pm
The Bar Association should get involved. This requires a disciplinary action that should sit in their files, and they should be removed from all future capital cases.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:55 pm
Hopefully it will call attention to cavalier attitudes that are too often the hallmarks of both prosecuting and appointed defense attorneys in capital cases. It was definitely in bad taste, but it pales in comparison to the oft-cited examples of defense attorneys falling asleep during trials and failing to introduce evidence which could exonerate the defendant.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
i have to say that when i read this in the Rocky Mountian News this morning my reaction was "what the hell kind of response is this ("a poor joke") this is WAY beyond a poor joke and should provoke a far more significant concern for judicial procedure.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:19 pm
I simply cant believe it!
Extremely unprofessional....and I as well would do that for a party of my peers
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:48 am
Gross!!!!
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:26 am
Very poor taste, and protected as freedom of expression, and freedom to wear a tie of one's choosing.

There is no precedent for censuring someone due to choice of tie.

If anyone has the right to take some overt action, it should be their employer, ibecause they damaged the employers reputation with the community.

Since they are DA's, and state employees, they should be told it makes the state look ruthless, and told not to do it again.
HOWEVER, if censured or fired or penalized in any way for future wearing of 'inappropriate ties,' they should call the ACLU and sue the crap out of the state.
It's unconstitutional to force your choice of tiewear on others in the United States of America. We can't pick and choose Freedom of Speech in this country, as much as people try to. Its imposed morality, and I'm not putting up with it.
Who'd morality is being inforced here?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:36 am
I'm not sure that freedom of expression extends to a coutroom. The judge can pretty much declare someone in contempt as they see fit for behaviors which would, in other contexts, find little censure.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:04 am
If I were on the Jury, and the Prosecution came in wearing those ties, I would be likely to turn sympathetic to the Defense.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:10 am
It sounds like "jury tampering" to me, only in reverse...As Equus has said, the jury is pulled in favor of the Defense.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
Well, whatever happened to "open with a joke?"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:28 am
Canons of Professional Ethics-Rule AT-5-
"they should always be attired in a proper manner and abstain from any apparel or ornament calculated to attract attention to themselves"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:33 am
Good point, dyslexia.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:34 am
The fact that lawyers have 'ethics' rules is funny.

So, it would be the Bar Association that has the right to discipline these guys?
Wonder is high-slit skirts on women is considered 'to draw attention to themselves? Loud colors? Cleavage?
Slippery slope.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:02 pm
lash: well, yeah the thought plickens as they say....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:18 pm
Lash, yes, we have ethical rules. I, like every other American attorney, had to take a class on Professional Responsibility, pass a separate portion of the Bar Exam on P. R. and be vouched for by an attorney already admitted.

Slit skirts, etc. are a whole other matter. Poor taste but probably freedom of expression, so long as the lawyer wasn't nude. But ties with nooses on them? For the same reason that the prosecution wouldn't be allowed to just leave a noose on their counsel table, it's an ethical violation and prejudicial in the case.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:40 pm
Freedom of expression, patiodog, does extend to the courtroom. Those ties worn by the attorneys were horrid and gruesome. That fact does not preclude them from wearing them. Little things like this "tie" story cause our freedoms to erode little by little, day by day.

Now, with an administration echoing the years of the McCarthy Era, it seems that the nation is ready to turn all its privacy and choice over to the government.

How frightening . . . and sad.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:27 am
What a great thread. I have read every single response with interest and insight. Lawyers are not stupid. They didn't get their degrees by being stupid. So what was the point in wearing those ties? Perhaps a rather gruesome way of testing the system?

I do, however, still believe that in a court of law, all involved should dress the same way so that juries are not swayed by anything in the way of personal appearance.
0 Replies