Do Women Sexualize Themselves?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:35 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Seems to me that practically every member of every species of reptile, mammal, fish or whatever has at least one and usually several methods of maximizing its reproductive attractiveness and availability.

is that sexualization in your book?

definitely isn't in mine. sexualization doesn't have to do with intent to reproduce

this child has been sexualized

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/47167-review--toddlers--tiaras/1322583463_toddlers-tiaras-240.jpg

hopefully the purpose was solely for competition purposes (as revolting as that is to me personally) and not with an eye to her reproducing
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:37 pm
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:

You bet if I am putting on leggings and boots and makeup - I AM sexualizing myself for 'them' - men to lust for me and women to envy me.

leggings and (tall) boots mean preparing to shovel snow around here

nothing to do with sexualization

though I can imagine other times when it might
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

No poster has been able to define the term precisely so far. I pojnted out that female and male adults of any species are, by definition of adulthood, sexualised, and therefore that it would be impossible to sexualise further an already sexual person. By that reasonning, one can indeed sexualise a child but not an adult. That was taken as too literal, though.

I gathered that what is meant is putting on make up and showing some skin. To call that "sexualise" is probably just a way to make it look dirty, in classic puritanical tradition.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 01:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
. I pojnted out that female and male adults of any species are, by definition of adulthood, sexualised, and therefore that it would be impossible to sexualise further an already sexual person.

this suggests being of an age (and/or ability) to reproduce has to do with a definition of sexualization for you

again, I don't have that in my definition - but obviously there is a range of personal definitions

M-W gives us

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexualize

Quote:
to make sexual : endow with a sexual character or quality

which suggests making something sexual which is not

_____

anyway. interesting question.

too bad the OP never came back after dropping off all the survey questions (or maybe this is one of those weird internet tests that you see once in a while - where they dump the same question in a bunch of sites and then analyze the results - were people friendly? did they attempt to engage the OP? did they answer the question ? ... etc)

Olivier5

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 02:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
this suggests being of an age (and/or ability) to reproduce has to do with a definition of sexualization for you

Not really. I'm just agreeing with your definition: one cannot "endow with a sexual character or quality" an adult who is already well endowed with a sexual character or quality. In this sense, the word only means something when applied to pre-puberty kids.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 02:49 pm
@Olivier5,
I wonder if the OP meant to use hyper-sexualize.

It more closely matches her 2nd question .

I think (?).
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 03:30 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I would say the answer to the OP is an obvious yes then: many women do that...

Hell a very large percent of the total animal population on earth does that kind of thing, it not just humans after all.

You are looking for the best mates possible and drawing them to you is just part of the two sexes setup.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 04:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I think the OP is just a young, impressionable person parroting some puritanical, pseudo-academic language he or she heard from a confused adult.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

FBM wrote:

Seems to me that practically every member of every species of reptile, mammal, fish or whatever has at least one and usually several methods of maximizing its reproductive attractiveness and availability.

definitely isn't in mine. sexualization doesn't have to do with intent to reproduce

this child has been sexualized

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/47167-review--toddlers--tiaras/1322583463_toddlers-tiaras-240.jpg

hopefully the purpose was solely for competition purposes (as revolting as that is to me personally) and not with an eye to her reproducing

Good point, but I don't think that little girl did that to herself. I'd say she'd been not only sexualized, but objectivized and commercialized by someone else, whereas the topic of this thread is about sexualizing oneself.
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 07:53 am
@Olivier5,
How do you quote in this forum?

Quote:

Not really. I'm just agreeing with your definition: one cannot "endow with a sexual character or quality" an adult who is already well endowed with a sexual character or quality. In this sense, the word only means something when applied to pre-puberty kids.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually one can. A PIMP. Can make his union workers to sexualize themselves more to bring more revenue to the table.

Also I can sexualize myself by wearing something sexy
OR
wearing something sexy see true...
OR
wearing only half of see true.
LOL

0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 07:56 am
@ehBeth,
OP says something about if women were respected MORE (than how much?)
they wouldn't have to sexualize themselves, though I am not sure if OP is aware of definition of respect.
So this young OP is confused, however she gave us a thread to discuss.
Weird. LOL
0 Replies