Problem installing a GFCI breaker

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:30 pm
My Jacuzzi type tub is on a regular circuit (not GFI). For added safety I purchased a GRCI breaker to replace the standard one. However, after installing the breaker, when I switch the breaker to ON, it trips. The Jacuzzi motor isn't even on but it trips. To install, I plugged the breaker into the panel and attached the white pigtail from the breaker to the neutral bar in the breaker box. Lastly, I attached the black wire (from the load) to the breaker. What am I doing wrong that makes this GFCI breaker trip when I turn it on? If I go back to the regular breaker, it works fine. Its a Square D brand QO style 20 amp breaker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 502 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 05:27 pm
American terminology and colouring always throws me (assume you're in the US), but it sounds like you're installing a safety switch/residual current device. The 2 options I see is, either you're not installing it correctly, or there is an earth leakage which is causing it to trip (which is what it's supposed to do). I did the same thing with a spa at my house (mine worked). My suggestion - CALL A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 05:38 pm
@jimsherrill,
You attached the white from the breaker to the neutral bus. Did you connect the neutral from the circuit to the breaker?
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:50 pm
@jimsherrill,
Follow the instructions of this video

http://video.about.com/electrical/How-to-Install-a-Ground-Fault-Circuit-Breaker.htm

In case the breaker still tripping, check the outlet close to the Jacuzzi and be sure that ground and neutral are installed correctly, one with the green screw, and the another on the same side of the ground wire, with silver screw.

The hot wire will be connected to the brass color screw.
0 Replies