Auto Service and Repair

Forswty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:59 am
Concerning a Toyota MR-2, 1985, How can I tell if my CV Joints or Boots are bad and need to be replaced?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Forswty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
Forswty wrote:
Concerning a Toyota MR-2, 1985, How can I tell if my CV Joints or Boots are bad and need to be replaced?
On a 1985 Toyota MR-2, how can I tell if my CV joints or boots are bad and need to be replaced?
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:30 am
The boots, if bad, will have splits in them. The boots do nothing more than keep dirt/water out. If they're letting that stuff in, they're bad.

So in other words you need to physically look at the boots (you do not need to remove them from the car to inspect them).

If the boots are broken, and it looks as though they've been broken (or one of them has been broken) for some time, odds are, your CV joints are bad. Dirt will destroy a CV joint in less than a few months.

If the boots are broken, hHopefully, there's lots of grease on the joints--less likely for damage if there's lots of grease (keeps out water, and traps dirt).

To check the CV joints, you need an assistant and a large, open area like a parking lot.

Have the assistant drive the car very slowly (like 1 or 2 mph) in reverse with the steering wheel turned all the way left. You walk near one front axle and listen for a popping sound. Then listen to the other front axle.

Then, have your assistant turn the wheel hard right and do the same test.

If you're hearing a popping sound in both tests, the CV joints are bad, or going bad. If you hear it on one side, it is only that one joint.

The louder the "pop" the worse the joint is.

Sometimes, you will see a little odd movement when the pop occurs. That also indicates a joint needing replacement.

If you're wondering what the popping sound might sound like, think of the sound your shoulder joint might make if it pops when you rotate your arm around (that may not be the best example if you don't have a shoulder that pops like mine does).

Hope this helps,

General Tsao
0 Replies