Hanged Man

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:41 pm
It was July 23, with record high of 97 F degrees. A crime team was investigating a supposed suicide, but they could not figure out how it was done. A man was hanging from a noose, dead above a large puddle of water. What puzzled the team was that from the ceiling to floor, the room was 12 feet high. The man was 5 feet tall and the rope with the noose was only 2 feet long. How can this suicide have been commited?

Oh yeah, there were no solid objects in the room at all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:47 pm
Ice.
0 Replies

SimMaster

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
I want an explanation.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
He was hung after he was murdered.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:01 pm
Like Noddy said, the man was standing on a block of ice.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:02 pm
He stood on a five foot high block of ice, which melted in the heat. The clue is, "there were no solid objects in the room".
0 Replies

SimMaster

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:02 pm
Yep, that's the answer.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
Evening, Gus. Looking Dapper as usual, I see. :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
And good evening to you, Wiyaka. Please, don't shoot. I am an innocent citizen.

I belong not to the Polish Army.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:28 pm
Awwwwwwwwwww, sweetie. I wouldn't do that. Not with you packing a loaded pitchfork. Trust me, I know how much damage they can do. Besides, after the war, I found out that my words are better weopons than anything else. Well, there is "the look" we are got from our moms to keep us in line. Since the changes, I've acquired that too. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if it comes with the equipment? Laughing
0 Replies

SimMaster

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:33 pm
Can you guys shut up and stop being off topic? The point of this thread was about the riddle! If you want to talk, PM each other...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
I afraid we're going to have to shoot you, SimMaster.

Shoot you like the dirty dog that you are.
0 Replies

pedronunezmd

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:16 am
How does an ice block convince the crime team this was a suicide?

It would presumably take quite a lot of will to stand on a block of ice and slowly feel the noose tighten over the course of several hours until finally you suffocate. Probably 99% of all people trying to commit suicide would fail using this method.

It would be more likely that someone came in with a ladder, tied the rope to the ceiling, hung the victim, spilled some water on the floor to make people think maybe there was a block of ice there, and then left with his ladder.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:25 am
Nice twist pedronunezmd. Just about every damn lateral thinking puzzle and it's cousin use a water/ice catch and that makes yours funny.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
Ice being slippery, the suicide could kick the block away just as easily as he could kick a stool.
0 Replies

pedronunezmd

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:23 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Ice being slippery, the suicide could kick the block away just as easily as he could kick a stool.

Yes, obviously suicide is an easier explanation for this situation. The man decided to kill himself, so he went to the local 7-11, bought a five foot tall block of ice, which probably weighed in excess of 300 pounds conservatively, lugged the block of ice all the way back to the room in 97 degree temperature, set the block of ice in the room, somehow climbed up onto this "slippery" block of ice and maintained his balance on it while he tied the rope, put the noose around his neck and then kicked this 300 pound block of ice away, just as easily as kicking a 5 pound stool.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:30 pm
He could have bought a dozen 25 pound blocks of ice, stacked them in a stairway formation and stepped off. Also, for all we know he might have owned a pickup truck.
0 Replies

pedronunezmd

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:45 pm
Some crime scene investigator you guys would make. I could just see your report:

"We entered another room and found a man with 12 gunshot wounds to the head and a knife in the center of his back. There was no gun found in the room. Our most logical explanation is that the man committed suicide by designing a simultaneous 12-shot handgun which, when you let go of it, sprouts helicopter blades and flies into the Hudson River, and after shooting himself, he fell backwards onto a knife which he had balanced on its hilt point-up on the floor.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
Calm down, pedro. Take a deep breath and tell yourself, "It doesn't really matter."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 04:40 pm
pedronunezmd wrote:
Some crime scene investigator you guys would make. I could just see your report:

"We entered another room and found a man with 12 gunshot wounds to the head and a knife in the center of his back. There was no gun found in the room. Our most logical explanation is that the man committed suicide by designing a simultaneous 12-shot handgun which, when you let go of it, sprouts helicopter blades and flies into the Hudson River, and after shooting himself, he fell backwards onto a knife which he had balanced on its hilt point-up on the floor.

Sounds plausible to me.
0 Replies