Residential electric question, Megging the wiring?

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:43 am
A recent power surge/transformer problem occured while the local utility company was installing new poles and lines. The power went on and off numerous times with each outage proceeded by a loud popping sound heard inside the house. The final pop occurred up on the hill where the power company had been working that day, it sounded like something blew up. After the power was restored several of our electronics were blown, they were on surge protectors, and our new hot water heater no longer works. There is also a breaker in the house that when turned on popped and shut back off. The power to our garage is on a separate box but the same meter. I also have a breaker in the garage that when turned on made a loud humming noise so I shut it off. The power company representative that came to the house yesterday said that it was a huge power surge, the reps that came today would only say it's being investigated. I'm having an electrician come out to assess and repair the damage but a friend who had a similar situation when a transformer blew at his house has suggested that I have the electrician MEG the wiring to the house and garage to be safe. Is this a prudent and necessary thing to have done considering what has happened?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 630 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 12:24 pm
If the power company is going to send an engineer to your house to assess the damage he will surely do whatever tests are needed. Leave the job to the pros.
0 Replies
Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 03:44 pm
The regulations BS 7671 require the supplier to keep the supply voltage within certain limits to protect equipment inside premises.
Judging by your circunstances they will be liable for damaged equipment and to ensure that your wiring is still safe.
Leakage between conductors and to earth is tested with a Megger.
Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 04:56 pm
magnocrat wrote:
BS 7671 require the supplier to keep the supply voltage within certain limits

BS7671 is a British standard; I would say it's pretty obvious from the terms used that the OP is North American. That is not to say that similar provisions do not apply.
Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 03:55 am
Thanks for pointing that out. They may well be on the safer 110 volt supply. We have not so many overhead supplies from pole transformers that are not so stable.
0 Replies

Related Topics

Main Breaker Tripped 2x - Question by decadent
240 Why - Question by lenchase
Electrical Wiring Question - Question by cdime
electrical showers - Question by grains93
6000W cooktop circuit - Question by 1hairycanary
Tempory power supply - Question by 51 nelson
  1. Forums
  2. » Residential electric question, Megging the wiring?
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/17/2019 at 09:49:49