Electrical Question

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 09:58 am
I have two 3750 watt gauges (7000 Watt total ) gauges on my transfer switch in the basement and a 10000 watt Honda generator. When various items click on in the home while running the generator, it "browns out" the lights and seems to struggle. If I purchased a higher Wattage generator, say 15000, can i still use the same transfer switch? thanks John
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 581 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 01:56 pm
@jwyeager2261,
Jw I'm wondering if the two gages are on separate circuits, which might complicate things

At 15 kw you might be pushing things, but heck, try it. Worst thing that could happen, you burn down your house

Con we need an expert
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 01:58 pm
Need to know the current rating (amps) of the transfer switch, and the supply voltage.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 02:20 pm
@contrex,
Regardless of volts and amps it might be interesting to know the present readings on those two gages when the lights begin to dim
contrex

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 04:55 pm
If a 10,000 Watt (or does he mean kVA?) generator is struggling to supply the load and he has "gauges" with a max reading of 7,500 watts, they are going to be hard against the stops. Bad signs: he thinks that 2 x 3750 is 7000, and also does not bother to specify what the "various items" are. I do not hold out much hope for enough information, or that an answer will be understood, and will repeat the advice I usually give: don't monkey around with electricity if you don't understand it, get a professional!

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 01:49 am
@contrex,
Additionally consider getting the generator serviced, and check the wiring is thick enough for the load and suitable in every way.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 02:26 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Regardless of volts and amps it might be interesting to know the present readings on those two gages when the lights begin to dim

A good point.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:51 pm
The point I was trying to make is that the generator has two parts -

1. An engine (like a car or motorcycle engine only smaller) which runs on gasoline or diesel fuel. If the generator is failing to deliver its full rated load it could be because the engine needs attention. It could be overheating or starved of fuel or the lubricating oil could be low or it could have some other problem that needs fixing.

2. A generator driven by the engine. Some of these have parts that wear and need replacing periodically (e.g. brushes).

We do not know at what power level the brownouts occur. It could be that the generator needs a service.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 12:21 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

don't monkey around with electricity if you don't understand it, get a professional!

Excellent advice.
0 Replies