Electric Heater Fan Slows Down Intermittently

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 07:16 am
I have a fan forced electric wall heater in my bedroom, that I installed new when I built it (about 10 years ago). Recently it started doing something strange. Intermittently the fan will slow down, almost like it was on a speed control turned way down and then back up. I checked the breaker, I checked the connection inside the heater, everything was good. Sometimes it goes a few days without doing it. When it does do it, it will happen every 30 seconds to 5 minutes or so. It is so intermittent, it is impossible to test, thought maybe someone on here may have experienced the same thing...Thermostat maybe? (It has a built in one). Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:06 am
Sounds like something else is on the same line and "draws" the power when it is being used.
0 Replies

Pastorerik

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:15 am
That is what it sounds like...but there is nothing else on that circuit.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:19 am
@Pastorerik,
If it were me, I'd replace the heater. It's either wearing out or the contacts for the fan or thermostat are corroding. When the contacts are at a certain temp (because of either the heater element or contacts resistance's incr or decr), the circuit closes or opens. I'd just buy another heater 'cause they don't last forever.

If you choose to replace the switch or thermostat for the heater , you'll be soon replacing the heater element, too.
0 Replies