New York Meet...Blatham, Lola, Joe Nation...moi!

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 07:01 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quite beautiful, frank. Thanks.

Do they ever switch out the background paintings? Perhaps a black velvet Elvis or some such?

I'm only thinking in terms of getting attendance figures up. Trying to help.

No switches that I know of.

Some of these paintings are actually worth more than an Elvis on Black Velvet.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 07:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
So your view, when not looking towards heaven or the priest backwards, was like this

http://i59.tinypic.com/71ijrd.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 07:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So your view, when not looking towards heaven or the priest backwards, was like this

http://i59.tinypic.com/71ijrd.jpg

Nope.

This was back in 1956. Mass was said with the priest and server in front of the altar facing it...and facing, for most of the Mass, away from the congregation. The new Mass configuration (facing the congregation) was installed (I think) sometime during the mid-1960's. By that time, I was an Agnostic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 07:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Some of these paintings are actually worth more than an Elvis on Black Velvet.

Well, in bleak and sterile monetary value, maybe.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:17 am
@blatham,
I know you eat green - there was some green veg thing I'd never eaten before that YOU convinced me to try.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
I chose that username in about 30 seconds, back when signing up for abuzz. Pizza was taken already, apparently.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:15 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Who doesn't eat SEAFOOD?!?! Even seafood eats seafood!

Obviously, for someone like me, this is not an argument working in favor of your thesis. Who else would Richard Nixon's immediate family vote for?

As one comic put it, the first person who ate a crab must have been REALLY hungry.

True, chickens don't fly. I suppose I have to grant you that. And I expect I will be reminded of it each time I see a lobster breaching.

Seafood generally doesn't slither, either. It swims, undulates, flies (eg flying fish) or is jet propelled....like the squid.

I cannot, in all conscience, conclude without a trace of doubt, that lobsters DON'T breach.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 05:02 pm
@blatham,
After approaching 50 years of atheism after a young life of avid religiousness, I'm over avoiding famed churches, and other such. Last major rejection by me was the cathedral of Guadalupe in the Mexico City area, no going in, too angry, there with friends, maybe '73.

St. Peter's was a bizarre bazaar, though, to me, even in March, except for the Pieta. You know me, or maybe not quite, I loved and studied up on piazza San Pietro (best entered from a side street), growing as I was into a piazza fanatic.
Other quiet old churches, I get them, or remember.
blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:14 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I know you eat green - there was some green veg thing I'd never eaten before that YOU convinced me to try.

I don't recall that, bethie. Probably, this was an experiment. Normally, I smoke it so I may have been doing some scientific type testing, eager consumer of knowledge that I am. Indeed, there are a number of scientific type experiments I'd like to run on you but the opportunity has yet to arise. I believe you might recall the black lounge chair and mirror in the NY apartment.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:25 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Seafood generally doesn't slither, either. It swims, undulates, flies (eg flying fish) or is jet propelled....like the squid.

I cannot, in all conscience, conclude without a trace of doubt, that lobsters DON'T breach.

Fancy words. Fancy arguments. Normally, one only bumps into such rhetorical resplendicity from Australian males. Clearly you're a tomrabbit.

But you've forced me to correct an earlier claim. Proper dietary range should have been on hoof, on wing OR on lucky pad.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:39 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Proper dietary range should have been on hoof, on wing OR on lucky pad.
In Bavaria, you get all that together, in one specimen (ask Thomas)

http://i61.tinypic.com/255jjit.jpg
blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:42 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
After approaching 50 years of atheism after a young life of avid religiousness, I'm over avoiding famed churches, and other such. Last major rejection by me was the cathedral of Guadalupe in the Mexico City area, no going in, too angry, there with friends, maybe '73.

St. Peter's was a bizarre bazaar, though, to me, even in March, except for the Pieta. You know me, or maybe not quite, I loved and studied up on piazza San Pietro (best entered from a side street), growing as I was into a piazza fanatic.
Other quiet old churches, I get them, or remember.

For me, though cathedrals are something like enemy territory, the engineering, aesthetics and craftsmanship draw me right in. The quality of the woodworking in St Pats (pews, doors) was pretty damned impressive - far beyond my skills. And that was the easy stuff. The stone work, incomprehsible. The vaulting (maybe 60 feet high in some portions) - I looked at that and tried to visualize/imagine exactly how the artisans and workers managed to pull that off and couldn't get it. And then, there's the much older cathedrals in Europe and, before that, the structures around the Mediterranean basin. I recall an archaeology prof telling me about a stone structure in Egypt (from about a half century BC) where she'd tried to put a thin knife blade between the hand-carved stone blocks and could not get the blade in, the workmanship so perfect, even given this much time for weathering to degrade the stone.

In other words, **** god and **** heirarchy but GO HUMAN INGENUITY!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

Your archival resourcefulness has left me speechless, Walter. But that is a damned handsome creature. A forest nymph of my acquaintance once tried to convince me these little fellows were real but at the time, she was sprinkling pixie dust all over my privates and I just didn't trust her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 07:03 am
@blatham,
Also I doubt the poor creeturs enter on anything except a plate, their means of locomotion hacked from them long before they reach your carnal table.

Have you ever NOT seen a lobster fail to breach?

Buck is the word you sought......and one is SO not a buck. The IDEA!
blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 07:28 am
@dlowan,
I've never eaten rabbit.

Carnal? Moi?

But perhaps, one day, I might be able to stand, all presidential-like, oozing gravitas and say, "The not-a-buck stops HERE"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I've never eaten rabbit.
Wild rabbits taste a bit like hare. Domesticated rabbits, which were raised for meat, taste like ... depends largely of what they've got to eat before.
blatham

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Wild rabbits taste a bit like hare. Domesticated rabbits, which were raised for meat, taste like ... depends largely of what they've got to eat before.

Thanks for the info, Walter. Though I'm not much helped by that first sentence.

However, your second sentence did get me thinking about cannibals. I suppose it's quite possible that in cultures where cannibalism was practiced, preferences based on experience may well have become part of the cuilinary heritage.
Warrior 1: Hey guys, let's go get us a couple of Bungalalas.
Warrior 2: Oh, god, they make me sick! I think they eat must be eating monkeyshit over there. I want some Three Eye People. Do him slow over a Occa bark fire for a moon cycle...
Warrior 3: Moon cycle AND a half. That's how my mom did it. Better than sex on junga berries.
Warrior 2: You had sex with your mom on junga berries?
(laughter)
Warrior 3: Har de har har.
Warrior 4: That's a two-day paddle. Past the reef! Besides, we always get in a fight about who gets the third eye. And I'm hung over. That last Bungalala, the fat guy, that wasn't too bad
Etc.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
blatham wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah

http://i61.tinypic.com/255jjit.jpg

I remember when I got my wolpertinger as a reward for Brewfest quests in World of Warcraft. Very Happy

Funny little things, aren't they.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 02:48 pm
http://imgur.com/WNxZOTe,SOsxZQ1,kniDxrE,eOJNMRQ,55x6szR#1
blatham

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 02:51 pm
@blatham,
Not sure what I done wrongish. Upload to imgur. Add image url. [img] and [/img] brackets.