hold the onions!!

SealPoet

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:13 pm
Onions... good!

Best onions I ever had were from a street vendor in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Grilled to perfection! I'm still trying to duplicate...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:44 pm
I use spring onions, raw, a lot: in salads, sprinkled on pasta, in salad sandwiches, etc ...
But garlic! Wonderful, wonderful stuff! Very Happy
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
Mmmmm...love 'em in all their wonderful forms! I use them in almost every meal! I have to buy them by the 5 lb bag just to feed my habit!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
Mmmmm...love 'em in all their wonderful forms! I use them in almost every meal! I have to buy them by the 5 lb bag just to feed my habit!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:40 pm
msolga-Hate to burst any burbles but green onions, spring onions, scallions , or whatever else we call them, are number 10 of the top 10 most deadly foods. Because they grow in the dirt, face down and we dont cook them , these onions have little critters tucked into each petri dish layer fo slippery onion skin. and there they reproduce unmolested until they hit your GI tract then BAM
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:52 am
Onions, garlic, shallots, scallions, yes...
oh, and leeks.

Farmer is probably talking clostridium again...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:44 am
Quote:
Vitamon C, fiber, bioflavonoids, antioxidants -- you'll do your heart a favor if you work some in, Rege.

got no beef with the cooked variety.
grilled onions are awesome!
but raw? not a chance...

ginger is another one that i can't tolerate -- in any form...
garlic: great!
cilantro: can't get enough!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:46 am
farmerman wrote:
msolga-Hate to burst any burbles but green onions, spring onions, scallions , or whatever else we call them, are number 10 of the top 10 most deadly foods. Because they grow in the dirt, face down and we dont cook them , these onions have little critters tucked into each petri dish layer fo slippery onion skin. and there they reproduce unmolested until they hit your GI tract then BAM

REALLY, farmerman? And what's a GI tract?
Are you saying that spring onions can kill you? Shocked
The same with chives & any other herbs that are used raw in food?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:35 am
GI tract is the whole of your digestive tubing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:38 am
That doesn't sound good, littlek! <sigh>
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:41 am
I order food with no onions, and take them out if they're in it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 10:07 am

postscript to the onion saga --

i got sick n' tired of fishing those lill bastids out of my salad, so i guess i'm an onion person now...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 10:32 am
In a similar scenario, until I was in my twenties I picked the little cubes of mushroom out of the many gravies I was ever served made with cream of mushroom soup, so I ended up with a little pile on the edge of my plate. Then one day I went out after work with a group, and seemingly starving, tried a stuffed broiled mushroom cap. That changed my view on mushrooms quickly.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 02:29 am
farmerman wrote:

Wow,this is the first I've heard of this.Been eating them all my life,and I'm way over 21.Never had a BAM and don't expect to either.As long as they're grown in good,well tended dirt,ain't nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:00 am
might I supplement what I said 4 years ago. RAw spring onions have to be washed and cleaned carefully or there is a definite possibility of all kinds of critters getting in their, including amoebas (dysentary).

I eat raw spring onions with salt as a snack, but never right out of the garden without a careful wash. This pretty goes for any root crop thats eaten raw (carrots,onions,peanuts etc)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:13 am
Gravies made with Cream of Mushroom Soup?! Someone call the Momma Squad!! Mom was always sending me recipes clipped out of magazines made with varieties of canned soup. yecch. I never had the heart to tell her that the "mushrooms" in Cream of Mushroom Soup reminded me of those pieces of pencil eraser I used to eat in the second grade, only not as tasty.

As for onions, there is noting better than some good pepper grilled hamburger patties with two thinly sliced pieces of red onion on them. Thin enough to cut with your fork.

Joe(and there is no Spring without spring onions in the salad)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:19 pm
Even worse than pencil erasers to my young self, because they were wiggly. Sometimes they were hidden by the crushed potato chip topping...

My mother was a good cook in the forties and early fifties, to my memory, with things like real homemade lemon meringue pie, roast beef, and so on. (Notice dessert mentioned first.) A certain decline set in, related both to income and some strange recipes abroad on the land...

(spring onion, red onion, spanish onion fan too.)
My new thing is the small italian button onions, cipollini, marinated in balsamic. Incredibile!

Here's a bank breaking recipe, presumably for a party - so far I've only bought them in a small to-go container from my market.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lc_dips_sauces/article/0,2041,DIY_14001_2273496,00.html
0 Replies

sabixatzil1

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:11 am
Wilso wrote:

That's what I do, and I prefer to have food that has no onion in it.
The only way I eat food that touched the onion (taking it out still) is if there's no onion smell, flavor, and if it's big chunks that come out safely, or really really small invisible ones.
0 Replies

sabixatzil1

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:14 am
sabixatzil1 wrote:
Wilso wrote:

That's what I do, and I prefer to have food that has no onion in it.
The only way I eat food that touched the onion (taking it out still) is if there's no onion smell, flavor, and if it's big chunks that come out safely, or really really small invisible ones.

And I'm referring to anything from the onion family, with chives and spring onion being at the very top, and their taste is unforgivable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:59 am
I bet you don't like pizza with carmelized onion topping..
0 Replies