What is best for my needs?

Tue 13 Jan, 2015 03:28 pm
Looking to purchase a "computer"...whether it be a tablet, laptop, desktop or something different...this is the question.
My uses are, blogging, checking e-mail, surfing the web, photo storage. I am not a gamer nor will it be used for anything other than the aforementioned activities. What type of device would suit me best?

hingehead

Tue 13 Jan, 2015 06:57 pm
@Pappy6886,
Well it depends on more than the things you've just listed.

For example, do you travel and do you expect to take your computer with you?

Photo storage makes me think laptop or desktop depending on your space requirements.

tablet's aren't fantastic for long blogs IMO - keyscreens are more subject to fat finger errors than typical keyboards - although you could get a usb keyboard for a tablet. (even so ipad's autospellcheck is a pain - and a few years ago blogging with blogger via the web interface was near impossible, but wordpress et al have apps now).

For me it will always be a desktop.

At a conference a guy from Chattanooga public library was talking about how ubiquitous tablet and smartphones would be - but desktops would survive for heavy lifting - he drew a parallel with the automative industry, which apparently mostly produced trucks early on (because they had more ROI and were suited for 'business/industrial work'. Prices came down, wealth went up and suddenly people could by cars just for 'fun'.
If you're a PC person I suspect some tablet interactions will annoy you. Some mouse actions are much more fiddly (like selecting and copying a block of text).

If you want to be mobile you might look at a tablet with a bodgy home made docking station - with a keyboard, micro-usb or OTG connector to an external hardrive, and a mouse. Some hard drives even have wifi and streaming capability so that don't have to be physically connected to the tablet, effectively becoming sort of a local cloud server.

Alternatively a chromebook and a external drive. For me laptops can be painful if you spend a lot of time typing hunched over the keyboard peering at the screen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Jan, 2015 11:39 pm
@Pappy6886,
Pappy6886 wrote:
My uses are, blogging, checking e-mail, surfing the web, photo storage. I am not a gamer nor will it be used for anything other than the aforementioned activities. What type of device would suit me best?

Apple iPad, whatever is the newest generation with the largest screen.

There are only a few options available for what comes inside an iPad last I knew. I'd max them all out.

Get an external hard drive with a wireless connection (one compatible with the iPad of course) for storing your pictures.

EDIT: The above presumes that your pictures are in a format that the iPad can access. If you need something that can read a CD ROM or some other specific media type, you might need a notebook.
0 Replies

Trapti

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 04:43 am
In my opinion you should purchase a laptop or desktop . If you keep doing all the activities all the day then laptop is the best option to go with.
0 Replies

Michael Lalwani

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 01:54 am
@Pappy6886,
Laptop is best option for you. You can handle it any where with ease.
0 Replies

Maxbond

Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:39 am
According to me you can go with a laptop it is best for you if you are a blogger.Because you can surf anything from anywhere and this things are not possible with desktop.
0 Replies

kingchum

Wed 29 Apr, 2015 05:07 am
@Pappy6886,
Laptops most suitable entertainment, and to carry out, you can consider to buy one
0 Replies

Chris Mackenzy

Fri 1 May, 2015 10:56 am
@Pappy6886,
By keeping in mind your use and activities, go for laptop. It will help you in blogging and other stuff.
0 Replies