PVC/CPVC?

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:50 pm
Hi! We're getting ready to purchase our first home, and might be visiting this forum quite often in the future. This first one's about plastic piping.

I've been fooling around with piping just to get famillier with it. Now, it's PVC I'm messing with, and CPVC. So - what's the difference? Right away I can see these differences:

PVC= White, thick walled, 480psi
CPVC= Cream, thin walled, 100psi

Well, I guess I do know the difference physically, but not in application.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the schedual 40/80 thing. I'm pretty sure it's closely related.

Anyway, thanks for looking into my topic here! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,116 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
PVC is usually used for waste water (drains and vents) where this is little or no pressure. CPVC is used for the supply lines that are under pressure.

The "schedule" determines the pipes wall thickness and the pressure that it can hold. 3/4" CPVC at Schedule 40 has a min. wall thickness of .133" and is rated for 480 PSI. 3/4" Schedule 80 has a min. wall thickness of .154" and is rated for 690 PSI. Same Outside diameter for both pipes but different thickness and PSI ratings. The schedules correspond to specific industry standards created by the ASTM (American Soc. for Testing & Standards).

The colors don't really mean to much. Each vendor dyes their pipe to colors that mean something to them but there isn't a defined industry standard. You can get PVC pipe in white, black, cream, blue, green, etc..
0 Replies