Can I use the same wire to power my doorbell + 3 of these LED house number

Soda97

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 12:51 am
Can I use the same wire to power my doorbell + 3 of these LED house number (http://www.surrounding.com/Products/Luxello/Modern_Brass_LED_House_Numbers_5.asp)

Or extend with this wire from my doorbell wire (http://www.amazon.com/20awg-Extension-Strips-Single-Colour/dp/B009VCZ4V8/ref=pd_sim_hi_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NZKCKHZ4B7YN7RZ1GMJ)?

Here's more info about the LED house number.

Electrical requirement:
The numbers require a minimum of 10 - 12 Volt AC or DC for optimum voltage. These are low voltage so you will require a transformer like a doorbell transformer or a 5 Watt LED Driver. A single power supply is enough to illuminated up to 6 numbers. The wires from each number all get connected to the same power supply they do not have any polarity. If you have a battery power pack that can output the required voltage requirements then you can use that as well.

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,087 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 08:52 am
@Soda97,
I'd suppose Soda that you could. Most doorbells however are ac

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=most+doorbells+ac+or+dc
Soda97

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 09:27 am
@dalehileman,
It has 2 wires to the doorbell, think from the transformer?

I was hoping there's an easy way to wire the numbers right next to my doorbell and without another box/transformer showing like this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6969UW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX6MRK2BDXS4)?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 09:30 am
@Soda97,
Sorry Soda I apparently misunderstand your OP. I thought you were asking whether you might power the doorbell from the same circuit as the house numbers
Soda97

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 09:37 am
@dalehileman,
O, yea it's the other way around. Do you know is it possible can I just add additional wire from the doorbell wire?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:15 am
@Soda97,
I'd guess yes. However I wonder if the xformer is easily accessible so you can feel it once in a while

If the numbers are LED then if the voltage is slightly too high the xformer could easily be overloaded; in which case you'll need a series resistor

Oh another thing: I'm assuming the button is in series with the secondary not primary
Soda97

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:45 am
@dalehileman,
I guess is in series with a 2nd doorbell?

What is the best way to do this with a not very skilled person?

Thank you.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:59 am
@Soda97,
Quote:
I guess is in series with a 2nd doorbell?
Sorry Soda but we're apparently at some kind of semantic impasse

Quote:
What is the best way to do this with a not very skilled person?
No offense Soda but I'd seek help in the form of a friendly humanoid who might understand this sort of thing
Soda97

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 12:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Will do, thank you anyway.
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:43 pm
@Soda97,
I think the problem you have is that you need to come off the transformer directly. The two wires you already have at the front of your house just go to the switch. If you complete the circuit by using those two wires, you will likely cause the doorbell to ring.
Soda97

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:02 am
@engineer,
O I see, that makes sense, thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 12:12 pm
@engineer,
My congrats Engy, your interpretation being on the mark, makes some of us feel like idiots

If Soda were to connect it as he had proposed I'm wondering if the numbers consume enough current to rattle the bell. If not it might be interesting to have them go off whenever the button is pushed
0 Replies