Can I Do A Backhand Spring?

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 04:20 am
Hello guys. Im a 17 yr old girl. And I am 5'4. I took gymnastics when i was around 8 or 9. I dream of doing backflips. The thrill of flipping yourself into the air. I am not fat nor too skinny. My thighs are pretty jiggly but my knees and calfs are thin. I have strong upper strenth but my risk are skinny. I want to learn a backhand spring badly. I want to join cheer in a couple of weeks for tryout. (When i do a back bend kick over my legs will NOT go over. I use my hips to try to kick it over but it just wont go. Also i am high waisted and not very flexible. I can only do a front flip perfect. Please help. Am i able to get a backhand spring in 1 week? Thank you.

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 06:49 am
@StarDanceGirl,
Ask your coach or gym teacher. It would be the height of irresponsibility for us to tell you. What if you hurt yourself? Ask your coach, and work with him or her. It only takes one broken neck to ruin your life.

And yeah, I'm a bit pessimistic. But I don't want to see this potentially catastrophic thing happen to you when it could be prevented.
0 Replies

somewhatsolved

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:44 pm
@StarDanceGirl,
I agree with Jespah. But, my first advice is to immediately start streches.
Quote:
Im a 17 yr old girl. And I am 5'4. I took gymnastics when i was around 8 or 9.
You took the class but for how long. The streches are more important then strength. Also, strech everything/ not just arms and legs. start with finger strech followed by wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck. I recommend doing one thing at a time one limb at a time. Choose an arm to start with, then switch each time you go to start the streches. Do slow rotations not quick movements, donot crack joints however let them crack themselves. Reapeat with feet, calves, hip and core. Core movements should be slow back and forth. Strech at least twice daily. When you wake up and before you sleep. Before excercise and after, every time! You should spend at least between 5 to 10 minutes each time. The streches I recommend are both relaxing and energizing. They more efficiantly improve streching, and you will be ready if you are telling truth of your strength. NOTE DISCLAIMER you are soully responsible for regimin, the one I reccommended is safe to preform and in most (if not all) people. If need further help ask. Also I don't mind a question that you personally would think is stupid.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:26 pm
somewhatsolved

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
?
FBM

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:59 pm
I'm a 52-year-old man. If I can do it, you can. I didn't learn how until I was in my 30's. Just take it step by step and don't rush it.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:16 pm
@somewhatsolved,
We riff here on subjects.
Springs... get it?
0 Replies

StarDanceGirl

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 07:15 pm
@somewhatsolved,
Thank you! But how come i can do a front flipover and get up. But not a backbend or backhand spring?
0 Replies