Why were we created?

tcis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:42 pm
Why would beings like us be created?

Lets say we were created by God. Okay. Why would God create us?

Its not like God needs us.

I've read that the Bible doesn't really address WHY we were created in the first place.

But I'm open to other sources, of course. Why were we created, anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,900 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Individual

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:48 pm
Hehe...you tell me.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:50 pm
Personally, I don't think that there really was a reason why we were created. I prefer to believe (until a more attractive theory is introduced) that we are just a chance result of a complicated series of random events.

As for the whole universe: I don't know, and I couldn't care less. Why bother wondering why we were created when you can whine about popular social and political problems?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:53 pm
tcis, I think you gotta ask your ma and pa.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:54 pm
why
On of the best anwers I've heard is "we were created to learn how to love."

On the surface, that seems pretty good.

But, I don't know if it really fits that well with this place called Earth. I mean, we have to do so many things to survive, that seem to have nothing to do with love, really. If we just walk around being spacey and loving all the time, we'll soon be homeless.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:57 pm
" God split himself into a myriad parts that He might have friends, This may not be true, but it sounds good-and is no sillier than any other theology"

Robert A. Heinline Time Enough for Love

A bit silly, but I like it

Sam
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:58 pm
tcis, You have the right idea; the majority on this planet are starving and without adequate shelter. Suffering is the precondition for most born - and many die at birth. Nothing fair about 'getting a life.'
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
Why do people have children? Children are a big gamble, you never know how they will turn out. Right? Perhaps God was/is motivated by the same impulse.

Sam
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:37 pm
Sam1951, Hinduism might not be so alien to the notion of God splitting Itself in order to have friends, or at least company. The idea that the universe has evolved conscious awareness so that it can become conscious of itself is interesting--but unverifiable and probably too human a notion to be applied to the Cosmos.
I wouldn't say that we have been created; we have evolved through natural processes. Men CREATE houses from the wood of trees. Nature GROWS both trees and the men who use them to create houses.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:42 pm
Cause mum & dad liked to "do it"?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:44 pm
I know how I was made. My mother was hard of hearing. One night my father said to her as they went to bed, "You want to go to sleep or what? She answered "What?"
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:47 pm
JL - thanks for makin' me laugh Wink
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:12 pm
JLNobody,

I would like to discus this with you more, however I nee to get some slppe oops sleep. See how tried I am.

Later

Sam
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:28 pm
JLN, One of your rare levities - it's funny too! LOL
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:33 pm
I like Sam's answer. When we ask questions without answers, metaphors are the best responses, in words anyway. Alternatively, we could listen to some great music like Mahler or whatever you prefer.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:43 pm
the reason it is refered to as the "big bang" is that at the point of conception of humanity, Ms god had an orgasm! Shocked

[ o.k., o.k., so my time line's a little off (13+billion years), it still makes as much sense as the old testament!]
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:48 am
To find the Great question about everything, to which the answer is known to be 42.

Douglas Adams, The Hichhiker's Guide to the Universe
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:11 am
The idea of an infinite being such as God creating us makes no sense. Why would an infinite being need to create anything? Is it so that the infinite being wont be lonely/wants something to love/wants something to look after (popular response from Christians)? If so, that means this infinite being is lacking something, which doesn't really make it an infinite being anymore now does it?

I say this because if there is an infinite being that is lacking love from creatures like us/is lonely/etc, then you can think of a being that is not lacking love, which makes it greater than the infinite being. This leads to a contradiction, so that means that an infinite being can not be lacking anything and does not need to create us. I know I kind of jump from the premises to the conclusion. If it doesn't make sense I'll try to expand upon it at a time other than 3am.

Edit: Sam, I don't think it's a good idea to compare God to parents (infinite being vs. finite being = bad comparison). Parents have children because they want to raise a child, continue their bloodline/reproduce (natural instinct), and in most cases they do it just because that's "the thing to do." Practically everyone is taught at a young age (in one way or another) that they should start a family of their own at some point in time.

An infinite being such as God would have no need to raise a "child," continue their bloodline (an infinite being is infinite after all...), or do it just because all the other Gods are doing it :wink:.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:44 am
I think the more potent question here is why did we evolve the way we did? Why we were created brings a whole mess of things into the mix we call life. Since we are already here, what are we going to do with our existence? That's way more important to me than questioning why we were 'created'.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:37 am
I really have not seen an answer to the question posed. Instead there have a cocaphany of responses that do not assume the premise that the poster wished you to assume - that a God created us.

I think a restatement could be - assuming that a god created us - why would he do so...

As far as the bible goes tcis it does give an answer - that God wanted an object to love - so he created humans - and God so loved the world he sent himself / son to save the world from the problems it created through the use of free will.

I am not saying this is what I believe I am saying this is the popular Christian answer.

God, ofcourse, does not need us, he wanted us.

The problem for most, then becomes the problem of evil - why is there so much suffering if God wanted us to be happy and love us - this question and 'fact' for most people is what drives them to Athiesm - that and the 'lack' of emperical evidence.

I am not stating that it is obvious that there is evidence or that there is evil.

I tend to reject evil as existing in the world.

Cavfancier - The only answer to that question is that we evolved for no reason at all besides outside and environmental influence. According to evolution we have no purpose other than to procreate and make more of us.

TF
0 Replies