Flat roof tar smell - help

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:20 pm
We had a new flat roof put on our house 2 years ago. Ever since, whenever it gets hot outside, we get a tar-like smell upstairs. Anyone have any ideas as to the root cause and how I can resolve it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,389 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:24 pm
As the intense sun makes the tar soft, it begins to smell. Try new insulation. I don't guarantee, but, if the smell is indoors, you must have little between yourself and the roofing.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:48 pm
hepworgr,

How old is your house? I don't recall when contractors started using plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier on all outside wall and ceilings. I hate to say it but that may be the answer, installing a layer of heavy plastic over your ceiling material.

sam
0 Replies

hepworgr

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
The house is about a 100 years old, so I doubt there is any vapour barrier. The bathroom is where the smell is the strongest and it was just redone 3 years ago and probably doesn't have any vapour barrier either. I'll have to check in to that.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:29 pm
hep,

100 year old house, flat roof, hmm do you live in the Southwest by any chance? Is the house adobe? If so was the tar job a band-aid for a leaky roof that really needs replacing? Just askin, you understand. I could be way off base here.

Sam
0 Replies

k baker

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:20 pm
try replacing your windows if you hadent already. and when you do make sure the contractor insulates them properly(around the perimeter) i sugest a good latex foam from a can.
0 Replies