Are Cuban cigars stronger than any other cigars ?

ciprian

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 04:32 am
It is true that Cuban cigars have a very specific taste which makes them different (most experts agree the best), but you can find cigars ranging from light to full body in strength. The soil, climatic conditions and expert knowledge of Cuba and the Cubans give the Cuban hand rolled long filler cigars, a complexity and subtlety found in no other cigar. EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,576 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 04:44 am
For value plus quality, I would suggest Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, and Hoyo de Monterrey. These tend to be somewhat mild, but the Partagas can be medium-bodied. I'm going on my wife's advice, she is the cigar smoker, Laughing. Her favourite brand is Montecristo, a good balance between the mild and the strong.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 04:46 am
Oh, and yes, Cuban cigars are much like fine French wine. The 'terroir' influences the flavour, and the growers are dedicated to quality. There are some good Dominican cigars as well, but I don't know too much about them.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 04:48 am
Uh, fellas, fellas, you're putting a bunch of weeds that on fire in your mouth!!

You're intentionally giving yourself smoke inhalation, a major cause of health problems amongst fire FIGHTers.

Confused

Joe
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 04:55 am
I don't smoke Joe, and Mrs. cav has quit. However, I keep up on the info, because sometimes clients are interested, you know, what port should we serve with these cigars....I get these requests, believe it or not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:06 am
when I smoked cigars (up until just last year) I preferred a La Fleur Dominicana. It was a mild yet flavorful cigar. Any Cuban cigars I tried, smoked like creosote. The Cubans I bought in Canada , I would smoke after a dinner . I never learned to appreciate them, I was too busy hacking.

La Fleur for the fine taste, I still think about them sometimes, I quit because I saw a film about buccal cancer. GEEEEross!

Best thing for you is to take a 10 dollar bill and light it up. Just as stupid except you wont get sick(unless you start breathing inn the smoke)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:08 am
I suggest that Occom Bill sign in here, before he quits as well.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:11 am
About ten years ago I bought a Cuban cigar at a tobacco shop here in-kingdom, just to see what all the hype was about. The darn thing knocked me flat on my ass! I only smoke one or two cigars a year, so maybe I just wasn't used to it. Other more knowledgeable folks have told me the Cuban cigars are stronger, and are rolled more tightly, so you get more leaf in a cigar.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:32 am
yep, you can suck your own brains our trying to puff one of the damn things. Another feature was that, in order to maximize the "puffability" of the cigar, you had to buy all these fancy choppers and end clippers that cut a larger surface in the end

In NY, I hear the favorite cigar in the garment district is the TE-AMO torpedo. So, that is sufficient data for me to say that cigars, like pnut butter, are a matter of personal rather than objectively measureable taste.

Theres a lot of non Cuban strong cigars like Opus-X , which are similarly able to knock you on your ass.
Totally unrelated but, What brand of Cigar did Winston Churchill smoke?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Just doing a fast perusing, it appears that Churchill smoked the "Romeo Y Julieta" cigar.

http://www.cuban-cigar-lifestyle.com/sir-winston-churchill.html

Quote:
Indeed, among Churchill's favorite brands were Romeo y Julieta and the now-defunct La Aroma de Cuba.
0 Replies