Bond, Jamie Bond? Unorthodox casting?

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2014 11:17 pm
Daniel Craig is arguably the most successful iteration of the British spy, James Bond (at least in terms of box office success), but the rugged manly actor has only two more movies left on his contract with the studio. There's quite a possibility either he or the studio will want to move on from the role and then the studio would have to recast the lead role/money maker (the James Bond franchise is effectively keeping MGM Pictures afloat by itself).

A female might never be cast as the next five or ten dozen iterations of the iconic British spy, James Bonds. So, you can speculate on which actress could fill Bond's shoes, it will always be a pipe dream.

But what about an American? Or a British born black male?

Idris Elba Finally Talks About Being the Next James Bond
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/12/idris-elba-james-bond-instagram-responds

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 01:07 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Idris Elba Finally Talks About Being the Next James Bond

Nice. I liked him in Luther.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 05:46 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
But what about an American?

Never. James Bond is British. You've got enough spies of your own, Jason Bourne, Our Man Flint to name but two. Bond is ours, so keep your hands off.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
Fair enough. I agree with you on that point. Most American actors that would be aesthetically suitable for the Bond role can't pull off a decent English accent.

I just wanted to see what American names would be theoretically considered. Just a question of curiosity's sake.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 06:08 am
@tsarstepan,
Is there such a shortage of parts for American actors that you have to look at another country's film franchise?

We have plenty of good actors over here.

Btw, Sean Connery couldn't pull off a decent English accent.
djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 06:36 am
i think elba would be fantastic, i find it funny he asked, shouldn't bond be good looking, the three pretty boy bonds, moore, bronsan and dalton made the worst of the franchise films (imho)

connery and craig, are not traditional good looking guys, they have a certain appeal and carry themselves and the character perfectly in the films, i think elba could bring the same gravitas to the rol
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Is there such a shortage of parts for American actors that you have to look at another country's film franchise?

We have plenty of good actors over here.

Our television programs are filled with British actors in American parts.

Apparently it is easier for a Brit to pull off an American accent than for an American to do an English one. Americans doing British accents grate on my nerves...almost as much as an American doing an Australian accent.

http://able2know.org/topic/192561-1

I'd hate to see an American actor in that role. (Sean Connery is James Bond...whether he could do a British accent or not.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:26 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

connery and craig, are not traditional good looking guys, they have a certain appeal and carry themselves and the character perfectly in the films, i think elba could bring the same gravitas to the rol

Totally in agreement here. Mr. Elba can be suave, confident, and intimidating.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 08:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Izzy wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
(Sean Connery is James Bond...whether he could do a British accent or not.[/b]

British is not synonymous with English. Connery had a Scottish accent, which is also British.

America has a track record of taking something British and shitting all over it.

Winnie The Pooh, Life On Mars, Man About The House, The Office, Alf Garnett, Steptoe And Son etc. etc. etc.

If Bond were American he wouldn't be Bond.

Having said that, I have no objection to an actor from outside the UK landing the role. He would have to have a particular English accent which requires a bit of work. When Denzel Washington took the role in For Queen & Country, he spent a lot of time in Tottenham beforehand which meant that not only could he pronounce Tottenham properly he actually sounded right. He did not have a generic "British" accent which absolutely nobody sounds like, or even worse a Dick Van Dyke Cockney accent which is what people from Montana think we sound like.
jespah

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:18 am
I await a woman in the role.

Bond. Jamie Bond.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Izzy wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
(Sean Connery is James Bond...whether he could do a British accent or not.[/b]

British is not synonymous with English. Connery had a Scottish accent, which is also British.

I know that British is not synonymous with English...and I screwed up there. Actually, I thought I had changed it...but apparently not.

Anyway...Americans are terrible at British accents...Irish, Scotch, and English. Never heard an American try a Welsh accent...and I'm not sure even I would know one.

On a train in Germany one day with several friends who were stationed in England with me, we ran into some US servicemen serving in Germany. We talked for a bit...and one of them said, "You guys are stationed in England, right?"

When we acknowledged that we were, they laughed. "You can tell...you sound just like them." So apparently the sound is contagious.

Quote:
America has a track record of taking something British and shitting all over it.

Winnie The Pooh, Life On Mars, Man About The House, The Office, Alf Garnett, Steptoe And Son etc. etc. etc.

That is one of those ignorant things you say once in a while that makes me regret I like the English so much. Englishmen can be assholes just as Americans can.

Quote:
If Bond were American he wouldn't be Bond.

Did Fleming mention where Bond was born?

Quote:
Having said that, I have no objection to an actor from outside the UK landing the role.

I guess the world ought to be grateful for that!

Quote:

He would have to have a particular English accent which requires a bit of work.

You mean like Sean Connery's?

Quote:

When Denzel Washington took the role in For Queen & Country, he spent a lot of time in Tottenham beforehand which meant that not only could he pronounce Tottenham properly he actually sounded right. He did not have a generic "British" accent which absolutely nobody sounds like, or even worse a Dick Van Dyke Cockney accent which is what people from Montana think we sound like.

Witness for the Prosecution bothered me while watching it, because I could not understand why the producers didn't hire a real Brit for the role of Max. The accent was phony as a 13 Quid note.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
I appreciate the irony of being called an asshole by you. Each one of those adaptations denigrated the original, and is utterly terrible as a result. It's not like you haven't got comedy and dramas enough of your own.

Sean Connery's accent remained resolutely Scots throughout, and does not sound remotely English.

Your liking of England is conditional on us behaving in the, (subservient) way you deem appropriate. You got very angry when I said we should remove your troops from our soil, likening it to an act of war.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I appreciate the irony of being called an asshole by you.

Well...I was trying to be restrained. But if you want to consider it ironic that I used something as tame as "asshole"...go for it. Wink

Quote:
Each one of those adaptations denigrated the original, and is utterly terrible as a result. It's not like you haven't got comedy and dramas enough of your own.

Why did you view them????

Quote:
Sean Connery's accent remained resolutely Scots throughout, and does not sound remotely English.

That was my point!

Quote:
Your liking of England is conditional on us behaving in the, (subservient) way you deem appropriate.

In no way or manner have I ever suggested that...nor will I ever. The last thing in the world I want to see is for the English to be "subservient" (PARTICULARLY TO AMERICA WHEN SOME JACKASS AMERICAN PRESIDENT DECIDES TO INVADE SOMEONE)...and I have been published in at least one English newspaper mentioning that.

If you are going to make crap up, Izzy...at least make up something that is not absurd.

Quote:
You got very angry when I said we should remove your troops from our soil, likening it to an act of war.

Not in ten millions of years did I ever do anything of that sort. You ought to print that comment of yours; shred it; and work it into the soil around some rose bushes. You'd be amazed the good it would do them.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:50 am
Wouldn't it be more fun to select actors who would be dreadful James Bonds. A true miscarriage of casting, somebody like, oh, Billy Bob Thorton. Just his name associated with a 007 movie strikes me funny.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:03 am
@glitterbag,
How about Russell Brand???
glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 12:34 pm
@glitterbag,
What about Adrian Paul, I thought he was Canadian but he was born in Great Britain. I think the tv series "The Highlander" was filmed in Canada.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 01:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
But what about an American?

Never. James Bond is British. You've got enough spies of your own, Jason Bourne, Our Man Flint to name but two. Bond is ours, so keep your hands off.

What about a Frenchman?

I hear Jean Dujardin is looking to lance out into English-language films and rake in some real silver.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/OSS_117%2C_Le_Caire_nid_d%27espions_poster.jpg/220px-OSS_117%2C_Le_Caire_nid_d%27espions_poster.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 03:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You might want to ask yourself why I got that impression, if it's so unlike you. Perhaps it's because you just can't help yourself.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Sean Connery...................could pull off lust of 90% of women regardless of his age even now...

As for an English speaking black person, I think this guy should be the next James Bond as long as he doesn't turn out like Bill Cosby !

Why the heck not.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 03:15 pm
@Kolyo,
The French are always shoehorning French characters into other narratives, like when they stuck Quasimodo into the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Silly me, that was Tom Sawyer, what's he going to do, paint a ******* fence? At least Quasimomodo might have done something hunchbacky.