Harper's Comedy Routine

Harper

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:05 am
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I will let you know how it goes tonight, the topper will be my vocal rendition of "God Bless the Child" after I finish the comdedy bit. I fronted a band for many years and ad-libbed little one-liners and short bits between songs but this is my first try at doing a complete comedy routine, I have also tried doing Shakespeare on stage...I wasn't very good...so this should be a piece of cake and the crowd there is very receptive.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:47 am
It went very, very well, before I went on the crowd was pretty somber and serious, the acoustic guitar acts that preceded me (incredibly six women in a row) were all talented but mostly very low energy, except for one beautiful Brit lady of East Indian descent who became my #1 fan, most didn't even talk to the audience between songs or when they did, mumbled self-consciously. When I got up I ad libbed that the National Week of Mourning ended yesterday, and something about we mourned the wrong guy, we should have the state funeral for Ray Charles. Anyway, it took me a minute or two into the monologue to win over the entire room, (except for one table of four who were involved in conversation and never even looked up) the women in the room all got it while the men (straight) were interested but merely amused.

I need a lot of work, I found myself starting to get comfortable ad libbing. With some work, this act will go over in a comedy club setting, in fact, I think it would have done better just as I performed last night in a venue where people come to expect to hear comedy. It seems I am a pretty tough act to follow, I was the last guest performer after which the host got up to play a few songs and he couldn't recapture the audience's attention.

Now I know why Standup is probably the hardest thing to do...just you and a microphone and if people aren't laughing....well...I guess one would just want to find a hole to crawl in.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
Harper, congratulations on a good performance.

Good on ya.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
Joeblow wrote:
Harper, congratulations on a good performance.

Good on ya.

Thanks, sent the script to my real gender therapist, she just e-mailed me back saying she loved it. Laughing
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:14 pm
hahah. Yep. Not surprised. Smile
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
Going to the act friday again at Luna Star, the host from last time has been replaced by the Brit-Indian woman that I am smitten with, should be very interesting, I am going to sing and play Biscayne Bay Baby Blues (see my song thread) to close the act.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:33 pm
Biscayne Bay Baby Blues ...love the alliteration.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:30 pm
Read for a scene in a movie being filmed here this afternoon and I got the part. I am soooooo excited!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
Congratulations
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
Yea Harper. Congratulations.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
Thanks!

Did the stand-up act again Friday, went real well, starting to get the timing done, watched Margraret Cho the other night, learned quite a bit from watching her. People are shocked when they find out I am a newbie at stand-up. I need a lot of improvement but now I know with enough work I can be as good as some of the best though it will take years to reach Cho's level.

I have edited and addeed to the comedy script if anyone is interested, take a look.

Rehearse the scene today and shoot it next week, the entire movie has already been filmed except this final scene in which I play the lead so it's not a big part (one scene) but it is a good one and being the final scene is really cool too. The film will most likely be featured at the Miami International Film Festival.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
Hello everyone!!! Finished up on the film, been working on my blues act, have to get back to the stand-up soon...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Fantastic! Keep us informed, Harper Very Happy.

0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:03 am
Got hired as voice actor on a comedy Radio Show, Southern Lovin' which airs in Pennsylvania, Maryland and DC area. I am working on the CD and forming a blues group as well as a bunch of other stuff, including trying to get Kerry elected. If only there were 36 hours in a day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:08 am
Thanks for your efforts re: Kerry, Harper, and congrats on the radio gig.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
PS I have now performed various versions of this monologue several time.I also improv quite a bit. Every time it was well recieved. A couple times it was so well recieved, I got standing Os. the text is not funny as written though. I need to get off my ass and get the act video taped so I can start marketing myself. A video tape of a performance is the one pre-requisite for a professional comedian.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
sozobe wrote:
Thanks for your efforts re: Kerry, Harper, and congrats on the radio gig.

Thanks!
0 Replies