What's smarter, the brain or the cell that made it?

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:17 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
There is no evidence that DNA was written, currently it replicates on it's own. As to was it written, I kind of doubt it, I believe there is a creation process, that does not involve writing, as many different atoms, and molecules are strung together.....
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:38 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Ooh you no lol I don't mean written in English or French lol.
I am meaning like traits ... big nose, loyal breed of dog, ect. The instructions to pass on to the next generation. Sure there's changes through matting but I mean how does it change through other processes?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:45 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Unknown............
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:27 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Good now we found something that different people can express their points of views on.
Other than "I don't know so we should not talk about it"
Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:20 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
New information gets written by 'mistake'. It's a trial and error process. Random variation in the genetic message appear by mutation, and some of them translate in a change in physical traits or aptitudes. Most of these changes will statistically be negative (debilitating) for the individuals inheriting them and will cause their bearers to die young, without offsprings, so these debilitating mutations will naturally disapear from the genepool. But some of the changes (mutations) may be found to have a positive effect on one's chances of survival and reproduction. The positive ones will stay in the genepool and their bearers will multiply faster as a result of some advantage (eg stronger, or smarter or whatever) brought by the new gene.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 06:00 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Ooh yes. I am speaking of branches of living creatures from the RNA creature. Individually I am looking for the trigger mechanisms that are changing the RNA structure from one generation to the next.
I read somewhere over a decade ago that changes in the coding happened by themselves.
I am not sure if they changed that and now explain the process that triggered mutations naturally.
Does that make sense?

Occasional errors in replication happen and if I recall correctly, sometimes a cosmic ray can cause the error.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you're eliciting the partial knowledge of amateurs on an internet forum when professionals have made all of this readily available online in easy-to-understand formats:

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 06:26 pm
@FBM,
No one fully understands how DNA does what it does.

Except the professionals on you-tuby

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 07:44 pm
@FBM,
Well is the beginning format.
Hmm let me see if I can explain the topic better.
I'm looking at as if I got here from another planet (I am going to hear some jokes on that one lol) and I am trying to understand how this RNA evolved into so many different species of life, how it forms it's atmosphere and how they are dependent on each other to survive.
Since my formal education is limited I'll do mostly observing the discussion and ask questions when something is not clear.
FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 07:47 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Cool. Is the YouTube format OK for you? Or would you prefer scholarly journals and relevant texts?
FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 07:56 pm
The first two minutes or so of this could be skipped. In short, after that, the appearance of organisms that used photosynthesis started pumping up the oxygen levels, while greenhouse gases warmed everything up. These things are very clearly shown by a study of geological layers that date back to that time. One thing to keep in mind is that we're talking about changes that happened over millions or billions of years, so it's not like it was a snap of the finger and voila.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 08:00 pm
More scholarly: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v506/n7488/full/nature13068.html

Quote:
The rise of oxygen in Earth’s early ocean and atmosphere

Timothy W. Lyons, Christopher T. Reinhard & Noah J. Planavsky
AffiliationsContributionsCorresponding author
Nature 506, 307–315 (20 February 2014) doi:10.1038/nature13068
Received 11 April 2013 Accepted 21 January 2014 Published online 19 February 2014

The rapid increase of carbon dioxide concentration in Earth’s modern atmosphere is a matter of major concern. But for the atmosphere of roughly two-and-half billion years ago, interest centres on a different gas: free oxygen (O2) spawned by early biological production. The initial increase of O2 in the atmosphere, its delayed build-up in the ocean, its increase to near-modern levels in the sea and air two billion years later, and its cause-and-effect relationship with life are among the most compelling stories in Earth’s history.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/nature13068-f1.jpg

Subject terms: Palaeoclimate
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 08:11 pm
@FBM,
O2 rose after God created algae............................
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 08:39 pm
@FBM,
In any format is perfect.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 08:55 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Pete, you do know that the person who is answering what the worlds greatest minds can not, is full of sh-- right?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 09:09 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Good. So now you've seen the RNA World hypothesis and how the atmosphere came to be what it is, thanks to the work of early microbes.

I would remind you here again of the difference between a hypothesis (possible, but unproven) and a theory (proven). Though details of the RNA World hypotheis are still being investigated, it's a pretty robust hypothesis so far:

Quote:
One of the problems with the RNA world hypothesis is to discover the pathway by which RNA became upgraded to the DNA system. Kim Stedman of Portland State University in Oregon, may have found the solution. While filtering virus-sized particles from a hot acidic lake in Lassen Volcanic National Park, California, he discvered 400,000 pieces of viral DNA. Some of these, however, contained a protein coat of reverse transcriptase enzyme normally associated with RNA based retroviruses. This lack of respect for biochemical boundaries virologists like Luis Villareal of the University of California Irvine believe would have been a characteristic of a pre RNA virus world up to 4 billion years ago.[58] This finding bolsters the argument for the transfer of information from the RNA world to the emerging DNA world before the emergence of the Last Universal Common Ancestor. From the research, the diversity of this virus world is still with us.

(From the Wiki link above.)

If you want more details, we'd have to start looking into the detailed chemistry. Unless you've had a few chemistry classes, though, I'm not sure how helpful that would be. I've had both chemistry and microbiology classes in college, and I couldn't pull it all up from memory, but I recognize it when I see it.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 09:37 pm
@FBM,
Right, and we get to hear about this from wiki diki

Sheesh.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:02 am
@FBM,
Thank you.
My point of view is that intelligent life is any form of life that communicates.
Can you explain some how different living creatures communicate with themselves and each other?
Staring from the simplest form like a virus to cells, plants, ect.
FBM

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:11 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Quick check: Is this turning into a thread where you ask somebody to explain all of existence and every phenomenon within it from the Big Bang to the heat death? Don't get me wrong, if you're genuinely curious, I'll do what I can to help you, but if you're looking for some gap to wedge a god or some other woo into, I've got other things to do. No offense, but Google works for you just as well as it does for me, I'm sure. Not meaning to be brusque, mind you.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:18 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I have a lot of observations like a flock of black birds would carry seagulls in the pack. They seem to use the spacing in between the pitches of the sounds they make as part of their vocabulary.
A bird looks down, while flying, to a large area of vision and it's able to pick out small pray. It also has memory and live for decades.
Just an example of intelligence in life from observing.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:21 am
@FBM,
Well hehe. I want to study points of views. So I am would like to see some conflicting points of views too.