How can I keep myself safe when jogging outside??

jora

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:15 am
I've recently picked up jogging again but am a little concerned about my safety while doing this (I'm female). I live in Seattle, which as everyone knows is kind of a big city. Next to my apartment there is a field which is used for soccer and baseball, and I quite enjoy the feeling of running on grass and loose dirt, so I've thought to use this as a place to do my jogging. But every time I go out onto this field to run I become extremely paranoid knowing that some guy could be waiting in the bushes for me. A few years ago I was running at dusk back in my old neighborhood (not Seattle; this was a city that was supposed to be safe and small) and this scuzzy guy got out of his truck and tried to grab me. Thankfully I had my dog with me, so he was scared off in the end.

The thing is, I don't have my dog with me now, and getting another dog is by no means an option (where I live it is not allowed). My question is, what are some good ways a woman can defend herself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,931 • Replies: 19
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
don't want to be obvious, but are there any well lit areas in which you could do your jogging?

take some self defense classes

do you have any friends willing to run w/ you?

are you running when it's dark out? try not to...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
Well, I walk where there are people! Can you find an exercise buddy?

This sounds odd - but, can you borrow a dog?

I have done this - often there are people whose dogs don't get enough exercise.

Other than that, I keep an eye out and such.

I know what you mean after being attacked - it IS scary. I have fought off a few.

Thought of a whistle, or something?

Yell fire, not help.

I am sure others will come along and offer more self-defence advice.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:37 am
What a world. Sad

If you don't have a jogging partner, get one. Go to a couple of weekend races of the local running club, meet some people on your level. Ask around your complex to see if there are any other people who'd like to join you. Keep a eye out for anyone else using the field and join them.

If possible, run whenever there is activity on the field, if you can do that without interfering with the players.

If you haven't yet, take a self-defense course. Call your local police department and see if they have free ones. Many times the local 'Y' has information too. Then practice, practice, practice. Figure out what you would do if such and such happened. Your paranoia will lessen as you become more confident in your ability to handle a situation.

But don't, I repeat, don't, run alone. Even if you have to get in your car and drive to an area where there are lots of people running, do it.

Joe
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
Lots of good advice. I used to run in Chicago and I would ran at night by the beach...man when I think of what could have happened! But I was young and stupid.

One thing that I did though was hold my keys in my fist with them sticking out through the fingers. That way if I neede to punch someone they would be a face full of keys.

But the best advice is DO NOT RUN AT NIGHT. And of course find a buddy because it will do two things. First it will help keep you motivated and secondly keep you safe.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:17 pm
Check out well-lit parking lots (with a buddy, of course).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm
I think there's a company that makes human-sized versions of those clear plastic balls used by hamster owners.

The hamsters roll around the house, in the midst of cats and other predators, yet seem fairly secure and at ease in their rolling fortress.

Surely if you were rolling at a potential troublemaker in your giant-sized hamster ball, he would have second thoughts about bothering you.

I'll see if I can find any companies that sell these.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
Now why does that make me laugh? I think if I were a mugger I'd be scared off by that too!
0 Replies

jora

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Yah, I can see I'm probably going to have to find a jogging buddy, but god I would hate to. I feel self conscious when panting and sweating in front of another person. Plus, I'm new to the area, and I don't know anyone in my apartment complex. Grrrrr. But I guess better safe than sorry. Sometimes I hate being a girl for this reason. It's not fair that a man can go out running alone and all he has to worry about is maybe someone mugging him (and that's a big maybe, because I don't know anyone who would carry cash on them when they were out for a run). But I have to worry about being raped, which is so much worse. Rrrr that makes me so mad. Part of the reason why I like to run is because for me it's like meditation. I like to be alone with my thoughts. A running buddy would be such an adjustment. I wish I could find a halfway point here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
I used to run at noon in an open park area where there wasn't shrubbery and were always people walking (Palisades Park in Santa Monica - there's an ocean view too). It took a while to get there and back, so I was lucky to have a job that had sort of flexible hours. I went once to a high school track that was closer to work, but I was too embarrassed about being such a dorky runner.

For a few years I jogged at the local YMCA after work. That was fairly strange but useful in a way. I had not jogged before and they have a system for people starting out, which was a help. Once the whole group starts jogging it seemed like a herd of elephants doing circles, yikes. However strange it was, I got used to it. One could "zone out" and be alone while still within a big gym full of joggers. They also had stretch routines before and after the jogging, and of course handy showers, etc.

Some of the more advanced joggers would leave the building and run around the nearby neighborhood together, and I seem to remember that there was a roof track too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:24 pm
You really are vulnerable when running, especially when you're near your limit. A cell phone close to hand might be some deterrent, maybe. Can you do a better job of picking your time and place.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:07 pm
carry a gun

shoot anyone who gets in the way

especially dogs
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:20 am
You have to think about how pedators think. They don't jump out at you from the shadows, they come on you from behind.

No earphones.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:24 am
Other options for running alone:

1) Buy a treadmill and run at home.

2) Join a gym and use their treadmill and other various pieces of cardio equipment.

3) Be aware of your surroundings and run only during daylight hours. Alwas carry pepper spray or mase and know how to use it.

4) Carry a cell phone.

5) Have a plan if attacked. Learn how to poke someone in the eye and knee or kick them in the groin.

6) Don't allow the assailant to take you somewhere else, your odds of surviving diminish.

7) Self defense classes can help you formulate a plan to help keep you safe and give you some knowledge and skills to use if attacked. Don't become overconfident in those skills they're no guarantee.

8) Your best defense is your own awareness. Get out of there fast if your senses tell you something isn't right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:46 am
Another vote for treadmill. Better for your knees, too. (Well, than concrete, maybe not better than grass...)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:28 am
Can you get a can of mace?
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:09 am
I heard something funny on the radio today that might be an option for you...

the guy on the radio said that he bought a pair of roller blades to put on while he was on his tread mill. That way he could just stand still... LOL
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:15 am
CerealKiller wrote:

3) Be aware of your surroundings and run only during daylight hours. Alwas carry pepper spray or mase and know how to use it.

4) Carry a cell phone.

6) Don't allow the assailant to take you somewhere else, your odds of surviving diminish.

8) Your best defense is your own awareness. Get out of there fast if your senses tell you something isn't right.

I especially like these. If you are really, and always, aware of your surroundings, you have already somewhat reduced your status as a victim. Here's a game you can play with yourself. Make a point of observing the people on your route, and note how often you become aware of them before they become aware of you.

Believe it or not, Mace and pepper sprays are not legal in some states. I don't know about Washington in particular
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
http://www.stungloves.com/
http://www.rrca.org/women/
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/losports/pepsprayrun.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:12 am
Glock 10.

http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/10/20c/20c.gif
0 Replies