scratched my vw:(halfords repair kit

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:09 am
I just scratched my VW against a wall.

I asked friends around and they advised me not to go to the VW garage, instead get a repair kit and do it myself.

I serached the local halford and they have a stone chip and repair system, should i go for it. or should i go for some other kit, i read one of the posts on the forum which mentioned spray painting, i asked halfords and they said that for scratches repair kits are the best bet.

also the wall kind of pushed (dented?) a 2 inch section of the body work that juts outs over the wheel.

how should i deal with that, should i try to reach from underneath (i dont know how, there is i think a rubber guard helad by rivets ?) and push it out and then do the paintwork.

the deed was done yesterday, how long before rust starts setting in?

can i attach the images of the scratches?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,419 • Replies: 10
No top replies

gordy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 03:42 pm
Those kits work ok but you need a bit of practise to do an invisible job.
We can't put links on here but type "dent wizard" in to Google. The local used car guys round here use them all the time. they use various suckers and they can remove dents like you would never know.they also do touch ins as well .
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:35 pm
what do you mean by a bit of practice, some people have advised me against doing the touch up job and say that i should go to the local garage.
what i thought i s start on a small section and see how it goers and then start on some thing else.

they say if i mess it up the local garage would find it more difficult to fix it and would charge me more.

what about kits, i checked out the local halfords, and the sell a kit, is that the ebst kit, or can you guys advise me with something else.

i was thinking that perhaps i shudl leave the dent there, it is not too bad a dent, you can only see it on close inspection, and one does get dents like that on the highway.

do you also know what metallic paint is, the sales man said something about that, i dont know if i have it or not now. the sales receipt says indigo blue, nothing about metallic paints
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:37 am
What I mean by practise is.With those kits you can get an invisible touch up.But your first attempt will probably look look a kid has been at your car with a coloring in set.
It all depends on how new your car is and how fussy you are and how much you want to spend.
If you're fussy call dent wizard.

Personally I'd leave the dent It'll add character to your car.And now that you have the touch in kit,have a go you might surprise yourself.
If you're not happy with the results get some 3m rubbing compound. Its like an a abrasive polish,and will take your touch in paint back off.

Metallic paint has tiny metal like flakes in it.Thats why your car is more shiny (along with the clear topcoat)than one with ordinary blue paint.Have a look at your car but not the surface,try and look at the depth of the paint then you will see all the minute silvery flakes.

Those silvery flakes can make a repair a bit tricky.Because they have to be all the same depth and lie in the same direction otherwise you get silvery bits or shadows.
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 02:21 am
thanks for the replies dude
my car is fairly new, 5 months.
with the dent, i realise that with use, there are going to be more dents,

with regards to the metallic paint, i compared my car with other cars on the street, and i could not find any difference in the shine.
i checked my color code on the manual and the sales receipt it said indigo blue, would it have said that it was metallic indigo blue?

so what you mean is i can go ahead, buy the touch up kit according to the color code, and if it does not work out, use the abrasive paint, the 3m rubbing compound, and the car would be as it was. would this 3m rubbing compound also remove the original paint work?

i have posted some pics of the damage to my car, please can you have a look
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmTZq5cs2zgQ

thanks once again for all the advice
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 02:24 am
also what did you mean by "invisible touch up"?
how much dod you think the local garage would ask for to paint it up?
once again thanks dude
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:10 am
Oh man forget about a touch up kit for that. 5 months old now that is a bummer.
Although on the positive side your car is new and the damage is in a place where the paint match wont be a big issue.
The V.W. guys will hit you hard but their repair wont mess up the warranty on your new car.Call in for a quote
other than that ask around or if you see some old duffer in a M.G. or something old,ask him.Those guys are always getting stuff painted/repaired so they usually know who's good and who to avoid,and the likely cost
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
hey dude
whenever i show the pics online, people say i should go in to a local garage, not try to fix it myself, but when i show it to someone physically(i mean no pics), they say go for the touch up job.
perhaps the pics have highlighted the scratches a bit too much.

when you say the VW guys are gonna hit me hard, how much are they gonna hit me by.

and how is the repair not affect the warranty. i mean i am going to pay for it, how much do you think the VW guys are gonna charge me, should i give the touch up kit a shot, to see if i can minimise the damage. i mean i am bound to scratch the car again in the next year or so. what i have heard is that the VW guys will just change the whole panel, and then will charge insurance.

consequently my insurance premium will go sky high next year.

my driving instructor provided me with a number, if i were to fix it myself (using a touch up kit) and mess it up a bit, woudl it become hardder for the garage people/ VW people to fix it.

P.S. my reflection in the first picture kind of distorts the car.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
If moneys tight and you're confident in your ability to inflict more damage on your new car then just touch the thing in.

If you've got the dosh then get the pros in.They wont replace anything.They will probably weld some little metal match sticks to the dent and use a slide hammer to pull out the dent,that will streach the metal so then they heat it up then quench it to shrink the metal. Then a bit of hammering and some filler then primer and paint.£500

If you say its not as bad as the pics then get in touch with dent wizard.The used car trade use them all the time and they can work wonders.There is sure to be a dent wizard guy in your area.Or call into one of the used car dealers in your area,they get small damage like that fixed all the time.It wont be to factory standard but it will be cheap.

Seriously you seem so certain that you are going to hit the car again.Why dont you get in touch with the institute of advanced drivers.Its almost free.Someone goes out with you for drives and they will assess your driving(not like your instructor or test examiner.but someone who knows what real world driving is all about) It will raise your driving standards and awareness and usually brings down the cost of insurance
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:09 pm
i think i will just leave the dent in?

how much do you think a body shop will charge to paint it

some one told me that body shops will sand the door down, prime it, fill it and paint it.

i thought they would just sand a 2 inch section above and below the scratch and they will do the deed.

if i leave it till end of july, do you think rust is going to set in and cause irreparable damage?

can you suggest some body shops in the london area who will do a good reasonable job.
0 Replies

myfirstvw

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:40 am
i looked in the richmond area for body shops, and came up with this list
can some one recommend any one of these

Crown Garage
2 Townschend Road
Richmond, Surrey TW9 1XH
T: 02089401046

D L Autos
61 Maguire Drive
Richmond, Surrey TW10 7XX