Shake roof replacement

jmell44

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
My home owner's insurance is ending in September unless I replace my 45 year old shake roof. Unfortunately, I don't have alot of money and would like to do it myself with the help of some friends. High dimensional asphalt was my first choice but the price of OSB has gone from $6 a sheet to $18 dollars a sheet here in So. California. Are there any other options out there that could be cheaper? I was thinking of metal panel roofing. Would these require the sheathing or would the spaced 1x6's be sufficient? Anything else that might not require the OSB?
Thanks, Jeff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 949 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:59 pm
The only people that can tell you what is required is your local (i.e. town) building inspector. Towns can (and do) go either way on underlayment for a metal roof.
0 Replies

k baker

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
you could either remove the shakes and use the existing grid of purlins (the narrow boards installed aprox 12" on center for the installetion of the shake roof)or do what has been done many times before install a new grid of purlins to the existing shakes(making sure you fasten into a existing purlin with decking screws) spaced roughly 2 ft. to 18" on center. then install your courrugated metal roofing with trim.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:39 pm
Welcome K Baker . A most concise and thorough post.
0 Replies