The Inherent Differences in Individuals When Gauging Quality of Life, Happiness, etc.

Max31

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 01:52 am
Hi! I've never really done anything like this before, but I had some thoughts I would like to express and get opinions on from those with more education and knowledge of sociology.

Why is this important?
Personal happiness is the criteria upon which I wish to gauge quality of life. In written support, I assert that regardless of material possession, family constructs, or any other environmental factors, how one individually defines happiness is truly of the highest importance. Therefor if something is severely impeding upon one’s personal happiness, it serves as a blockade upon their overall quality of life.
If the goal of a government or institution such as the United States Federal Government is to ensure a good quality of life, then it must consider an individual’s right to be free from unnecessary impediments upon personal happiness as commonplace standards.
Furthermore, happiness is not a standard which can be defined in any way shape or form through modeling of one’s own personal experiences. Trying to instill personal standards of happiness as a “norm” and/or mode of judging another’s happiness is flawed and barbaric thinking. Therefor to truly respect quality of life to the highest possible extent requires policy action that extends to personal circumstances and acknowledges the true depth of the inherent differences between individuals.
Society impresses views, beliefs, and lifestyles upon people from their time of birth until their time of death. If an individual is fostered under this environment, then that individual is not actually free to make up their own identity and formulate their own standards of living and happiness.

Is This Even a Problem?
I challenge the reader to think of their own state of happiness and the impediments upon it. I now challenge you to seek to identify social influence upon these standards of happiness. Research will show that true happiness cannot be modeled off of entertainment media, and that what exists there is nothing more than an illusion of happiness, a social substitute for a persons true underlying desires which may, tragically, go unidentified and remain lost in a world of false substitutions.
If this proves true, the next logical step in improving the overall quality of life amongst those with their basic needs currently being met is to educate them upon the difference between real desires and those that are unjustly socially-impressed.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,799 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:12 am
@Max31,
You make some valid points.

I suggest however you consider what you think the role of government is with respect to "happiness", since all group structures tend to curtail some freedoms of individuals for the good of the majority. Secondly, the import of popular entertainment is not confined to particular events but can serve as a stimulus for social dialogue and interaction between individuals thereby enhancing their feelings of social inclusion...surely an aspect of "happiness" don't you think ?
0 Replies