Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 10:19 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
sozobe wrote:
How are you doing anyway?

Today, very good. (-: And not just because Holland won the game.(-;

Let's see if my luck holds. (:

I guess the only thing left to ruin your day now would be a convincing German win against Argentina. Oops!
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@Thomas,
We all hope for a historic final : Holland - Germany 3 - 1
Laughing
nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@Thomas,
Nah - Germany, Argentina - we don't like either of 'em! And facing either of 'em again in the finals, if we get past Uruguay, would have been a great chance at revenge - we remember '78 as well as '74!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

We all hope for a historic final : Holland - Germany 3 - 1
Laughing

Obviously I'd prefer the historic outcome: Germany 2, Holland 1. Alternatively, I'd like a penalty shootout so Miroslav Klose can get his lifetime record in World Cup goal-scoring.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 11:36 am
@sozobe,
Thanks Smile

It's always hard, if you really want something, and you got it once, not to want it a second, third time too ... but I'm already pretty happy now Wink
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:55 pm
On a whim, I drove to the site of the Woodstock festival in Bethel Woods, New York. Big anti-climax. It's jut a Huge meadow behind a Huge parking lot on the left side of a country road, and a tiny museum on the right side of the road. It could be any rural place between Northern Maine and South-Eastern Ohio.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:14 pm
Possibly a TMI random observation, but it's really just occurring to me...

Throughout my adult life I've had IBS/IBD like symptoms with some regularity. Occasional (and, of course, completely legal) incidental use of cannabinoid containing substances and benzodiazepines consistently has resulted in short-term relief.

Just Googled it, too. It appears that a number of folks (in situations of varying reputability) have found the same thing.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:24 pm
@patiodog,
that reminds me, I've half a brownie left...

thanks p-dog.
patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:50 pm
@Rockhead,
That's why I'm here, Rocko. That's why I'm here.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:15 am
@Rockhead,
Hey! What about me? You promised years ago to give me your brownie recipe.

This is making me wonder if Dys would develop a better appetite and eat more with cannibus in his system? He desperately needs to gain weight. Hmmm, medical marijuana? He has a legitimate need, no doubt about it.
roger

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:21 am
@Diane,
Worth a try. Plant a few amongst the tomato and pepper plants.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:57 am
@Diane,
Seems like it'd be worth a shot to me. I've seen it do wonders for a chemo patient.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:04 am
@Diane,
I think, now as then, that he would benefit from herbal help.

I will e you a butter recipe this weekend. I am guest cheffing for a party where the master baker will be in attendance over the holiday.

it's all about the butter...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:26 pm
Not so random, but...

For most of my semi-adult life (I'm getting there, damn it!), I've turned a deaf ear to Led Zeppelin. Too obvious, too popular, blah blah blah.

But it turns out they were really ******* good.

(Actually, when I was 17 I copied my dad's old vinyl of Physical Graffiti onto tape and listened to it speeding down Highway 108 over Sonora Pass in the old Datsun pick-em-up, windows open, volume up, high as hell, with the blasted out rocks on the right and a long plunge into Ponderosa-lined death on the left, and thought they were ******* great then, too. But it was a private pleasure.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:22 am
The responsibility of being a parent seems crushing sometimes.

I'm making decisions for my kid that will affect her whole life. And so they damn well better be the right decisions. But sometimes that's not clear.

(Right now... chewing over how obstructionist to be re: a recommended orthodontic treatment. I already kiboshed one, and that turned out fine. My instincts [and research] were right. This one, I just can't tell. [Palate expander.])

It's not as simple as letting her decide -- she's a KID, and even just the way I put it to her would make one or the other answer extremely likely. Plus she's more likely to choose based on the short term rather than the long term.

So I (and E.G.) have to figure this stuff out.

Bah.
Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
It's not as simple as letting her decide -- she's a KID, and even just the way I put it to her would make one or the other answer extremely likely.

How about waiting until she's no longer a kid, and then letting her decide? Can palate expansions only be done at her age? But I agree with your general point about being crushed by parental responsibility.
sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:36 am
@Thomas,
Yeah, only at her age. Or at least now is the best time for it, and the cut-off is before adulthood (12 or so).
Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:40 am
@sozobe,
Bah indeed. I wish you good luck.
sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:42 am
@Thomas,
Thank you.

I'm thinking of starting a thread: "Orthodontia: America's Footbinding?"

I'm glad I had braces and everything but really, after a day of reading horror stories online I can way too easily imagine Chinese mothers sharing similar stories as their daughters complain about their sore feet. "But it will all be worth it in the end, darling, you'll be so pretty."

Bah.