Random observations

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:15 pm
@sozobe,
It's not really an observation though, is it? I think there's a "random thoughts" thread out there somewhere...
Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
It's not really an observation though, is it? I think there's a "random thoughts" thread out there somewhere...

There you go pedanting again. There's no stopping you, missus!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:37 am
When an email subject line says, "You won't want to miss this!", it's pretty much a guarantee that you will, in fact, want to miss it.
nimh

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
@nimh,
If you ever, no matter how momentarily, or unselfconsciously, find yourself assuming that liberal people must also be smart, read the comments section of TPM.* It's humbling.

* I would have recommended the comments section of Huffington Post, but that would have you wanting to poke your eyes out, and I don't want that on my conscience.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:16 pm
@nimh,
Huffpo's comments are a gate to losing hope...

Actually, the whole thing is increasingly sophomoric. May or may not have had to do with a change of the guard of the website. In any case, I flit over it faster.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:07 am
@nimh,
This was, of course, the one where a special election took place this week. Preparing for the election, Swingstateproject created some maps.... : http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/6911/pa12-breaking-down-the-only-kerrymccain-district
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:17 am
@nimh,
What's TPM?
sozobe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:18 am
@dlowan,
Talking Points Memo. A website.
dlowan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:42 am
@sozobe,
Thank you!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:03 pm
It took me 50 years to realize that Orange Crush soda really tastes like tangerine, not so much like orange.
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:38 pm
@fbaezer,
Erudite with our fruits, aren't we?

They all just taste like sugar to me...or did when I drank 'em.

Except Passiona. I can't say it tasted like passion fruit...but it had an edge!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 07:38 pm
Able2know categorically doesn't allow you to cross-post something you posted in one thread in another thread. Unless you post something else in between. Like this.
nimh

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
Man, that had been a long time since I last stayed up over 40 hours on end.

(Didnt wanna post this on Facebook cos it might be misinterpreted as bragging or something - just having a "whoa" moment)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:21 pm
Two observations at lunch in the local diner:

1) A table of four friends in their 50s: Before food was served, one of them reached into her bag, took out a bottle of hand sanitizer, helped herself to some of it, and ceremoniously passed the bottle around. For ten seconds or so, the table looked as if everyone was praying as they wrung their hands together. Was I observing the birth of a new national ritual? Will Americans in 2050 ceremoniously join in sanitizing hands instead of saying grace?

2) A table of four teenagers, grouped into two couples. The couple whose faces I could see had a ritual: Most of the time, they would make faces as if they didn't care for one another at all. Then, within a fraction of a second, the head of one partner would shoot towards that of the other to move in for a kiss. They were so fast it actually looked more like a peck than a kiss to me. At one time, though, both of them tried to peck, I mean kiss, at the same moment. Neither side could abort their maneuver until it was too late: Their teeth collided; the girl ended up with a bloody lip. As they used to sing when I was their age: "Love hurts / love scars / Love wounds / and mars ...."

0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm
There was a sign in a local grocery store, hand made, that read:

"We cater weddings, funerals, and other special occasions!"

They've since removed a word from that phrase.
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm
@tin sword arthur,
tin sword arthur wrote:

There was a sign in a local grocery store, hand made, that read:

"We cater weddings, funerals, and other special occasions!"

They've since removed a word from that phrase.

"Weddings," right?

(Nice to see ya, it's been a while!)
tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@sozobe,
Close...

(Thanks! Smile It's good to see everyone here again)
nimh

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:33 am
I just want a girl who smokes weed, loves to dance, talks street ... and is fascinated by the intricacies of party political systems across the EU Member States.

Is that really too much to ask?
nimh

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:33 am
@tin sword arthur,
Hey, long time no see!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
I just want a girl who smokes weed, loves to dance, talks street ... and is fascinated by the intricacies of party political systems across the EU Member States.

Is that really too much to ask?

Naw, not if you've got an intro to Madeline Albright.
0 Replies