Are these statements correct?

kets 10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:55 am
1. Greg doesn't even consider changing his diet unless he is convinced by his doctor.
2. If the frost had hit later, this year's expected harvest of peach might be lesser.
3. Linguists at a recent congress in Seattle have warned that half of human languages will have disappeared by the end of the century, as smaller societies are getting assimilated into national and global cultures. Are these statements correct? I need a reply immediately.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 757 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:22 am
@kets 10,
1. Greg won't even consider changing his diet unless he is convinced (so advised? persuaded?) by his doctor

2. Had the frost hit later, this year's expected (upcoming?) peach harvest might have been lesser (smaller? curtailed? disappointing?)

3. Linguists at a recent congress in Seattle have warned that fully half of human languages might disappear by the end of the century as smaller societies are assimilated into national and global cultures.

Quote:
I need a reply immediately.
Okay Kets but why
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 12:25 pm
@kets 10,
1. fine
2. expected/anticipated
3. warned/predict
kets 10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So you think the statements are correct?
contrex

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:36 pm
@kets 10,
kets 10 wrote:

So you think the statements are correct?

We don't know Greg, so we cannot say if the first statement is "correct". Did you mean "grammatical"?
kets 10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:53 pm
@contrex,
First of all, these sentences come from this year's English competition in my country. I really need to know if what i have written previously is proper, so that's why i had to ask somebody who is fluent in English.First of all, in the sentence 2, there has to be "might be" because it is given in the answer key Very Happy But what about the sentence 3? You think it is okay to give there " are getting assimilated"? Because in the answer key there is " are assimilated" but it seemed to me that my answer was proper but i wasn't sure of it and i had to ask about it. But i still also wonder about the sentence one because i'm still confused because when i translate it into my language it seems okay to me. The only person who could, maybe, make Greg change his diet is his doctor - this is the sentence, which had to be changed but it couldn't mean something different after the change. And I change it this way: Greg doesn't even consider changing his diet unless he is convinced by his doctor. And i don't know if it's proper but in my opinion it should be Very Happy I'm looking forward for your replies beacuse my competition result depends on it Very Happy And i meant grammatical:D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:09 pm
@kets 10,
They are correct based on the emphasis of the words used.
0 Replies