Great Republican Artists

patiodog

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
Defaced that Gibson, though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:51 pm
This isn't the music forum and even though I used some writer analogies, I doubt it qualifies. This is the visual arts forum. I'm thinking kickycan posted it here for a reason. Are there great Republican musicians? You've given one. One out of thousands. You could always post Great Republic Musicians in Music.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:52 pm
LW is right. I was really looking for painters, sculptors, maybe performance artists--stuff like that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
Scene from "Airplane!" (adapted):

"Do you want anything to read?"

"Ya got somethin' short?"

"How about this leaflet on Great Republican Artists and Musicians"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
LOL
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
That's why I asked. Just stirring things up.

This brings to mind the starving artist. I don't think many Republicans are starvingly poor.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 01:11 pm
I've known and know many people in both the visual and the musical arts (classical music), and it's my strong intuition that visual artists tend to be liberal while many more musicians tend to be conservative. I should qualify that: among musicians most are moderate to liberal, but there are more conservatives than there are among visual artists.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
Show me a poor starving Republican and I will show you an evolutionary mutant.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
I knew some conservatives artists in Laguna Beach. They churned our boring, poor painted seascapes. They painted to make money instead of painting from the soul. Well, maybe the sole of their shoe -- it looked more like that than competant brushwork.

Thomas Kinkaid is a Republican -- maybe you should change that to what Republican artists are not mediocre, commercial hacks.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:42 am
Under communism artists were pretty much expected to work within the political framework, paintings of the glorious workers etc - you wanted to eat, paint and survive so that's the work you did ..

... likewise in the past, patrons were the wealthy - portraits of the family, pets, their grand houses etc, or the church, religious scenes.

The artist's private feelings may have been very different and their issues within the painting were artistic concerns but subject matter was often dictated.

Most artists I know are liberals and i think artists have always been amongst the freethinkers
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 06:11 am
I have a small problem with the framing of the original question, kicky, as I think it excludes artists outside of the US. I will pop in a vote for Leni Riefenstahl though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
That's true which puts more of a gulf between communism and liberalism than ever considered by any Republican conservative. Does modern conservatism really advocate individual expression? There's a collectivism of the corporate structure that ends up giving us artists like Kinkaid. Conservative, inert art that's about as stimulating as a bad TV commercial.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:06 pm
artist + kincaid = oxymoron?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 09:25 am
We've discussed (er, disgusted) him enough?

He's a crypto-artist who is the example of a mediocre painter (with a staff of elves, I might say) whose sole talent is actually marketing (of the "sucker born every minute," "pet rock" variety). How much more Republican can one get?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:42 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
What's wrong with pet rocks? It broke my heart when I had to put mine down.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:59 pm
You had it crushed? Pet rock particles make an excellent defoliator when mixed with buttermilk.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:45 pm
LW, how insensitive of you to talk about Fido that way. Shocked Sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
Oh no, you named your Pet Rock Fido? Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:36 pm
Well, not reallly. I thought we were supposed to use aliases here.
0 Replies