Good and 'truthful' accounts of people trying to comit suicide?

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 01:11 pm
Hi All,
Does anyone have any good examples within culture of people killing themselves? (Films, testemonies, literature, anything).
I've read The Bell Jar.
Just trying to get an idea of someone's inner thought process before they commit the action, not without sympathy.
Thanks,
pq
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 12
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:26 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Well, there's always Hamlet.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:43 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
How is your German now that you've spent the summer in Weimar? I'm asking because you might try Goethe's Werther. It's fiction, of course, but it rings authentic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:54 pm
@Thomas,
I've never read that (I could only read an english translation); I might like to. Have read re his travels, in translation.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:49 am
Anne Sexton was a friend and contemporary of Sylvia Plath. She also committed suicide. She wrote this poem about Plath's suicide.

Quote:
Sylvia's Death by Anne Sextonfor Sylvia Plath O Sylvia, Sylvia, with a dead box of stones and spoons, with two children, two meteors wandering loose in a tiny playroom, with your mouth into the sheet, into the roofbeam, into the dumb prayer, (Sylvia, Sylvia where did you go after you wrote me from Devonshire about raising potatoes and keeping bees?) what did you stand by, just how did you lie down into? Thief — how did you crawl into, crawl down alone into the death I wanted so badly and for so long, the death we said we both outgrew, the one we wore on our skinny breasts, the one we talked of so often each time we downed three extra dry martinis in Boston, the death that talked of analysts and cures, the death that talked like brides with plots, the death we drank to, the motives and the quiet deed? (In Boston the dying ride in cabs, yes death again, that ride home with our boy.) O Sylvia, I remember the sleepy drummer who beat on our eyes with an old story, how we wanted to let him come like a sadist or a New York fairy to do his job, a necessity, a window in a wall or a crib, and since that time he waited under our heart, our cupboard, and I see now that we store him up year after year, old suicides and I know at the news of your death a terrible taste for it, like salt, (And me, me too. And now, Sylvia, you again with death again, that ride home with our boy.) And I say only with my arms stretched out into that stone place, what is your death but an old belonging, a mole that fell out of one of your poems? (O friend, while the moon's bad, and the king's gone, and the queen's at her wit's end the bar fly ought to sing!) O tiny mother, you too! O funny duchess! O blonde thing! -

Best you look at the original. It is in verse form unlike the cut and paste version above..

[url]http://allpoetry.com/Sylvia's-Death[/url
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:13 am
In Leaving Las Vegas, Nicolas Cage sets out to commit suicide by drinking himself to death.

Million Dollar Baby ends with what amounts to the assisted suicide of a quadriplegic.

Full Metal Jacket has a rather graphic suicide as the climax of the first half of the movie.

The Children's Hour ends with one of the main protagonists hanging herself after being outed as a lesbian.

Amadeus starts with an attempted suicide.
Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:32 am
@joefromchicago,
. . . Thelma and Louise . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:34 am
@ossobuco,
Werther is an interesting read, Osso. The social side of it is dated, but the human side is not.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:46 am
@Thomas,
Thanks, Thomas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:55 am
@Thomas,
There are quite a few Germans, who wrote about suicide, since it was the topic for some decades.

Friedrich Dürrenmatt's Die Panne (A Dangerous Game) is most interesting since it ends differently in the radio drama, the novel and the play.

I don't think that Arthur Schnitzler's novella Fräulein Else has been translated to English, but the latest movBoth, the novel as well as the film, deal with the impact of the world financial crisis (from 1929 and 2008).ie has got good critics, though it plays in modern times. (Both, the novel as well as the film, deal with the impact of the world financial crisis [from 1929 and 2008]). Fräulein Else - a film (English at the lower part of the website)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:13 am
Les Misérables contains a lengthy (not surprising) inner discourse by Inspector Javert, as he struggles over the contradiction arising out of his recent act of mercy toward Jean Valjean, which contrasts with his strict adherence to the letter of the law. In the end, he can't deal with the cognitive dissonance, and he resolves the contradiction the only way he knows how - by throwing himself in the Seine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:31 am
It's a good subject with many different aspects to suicide. I can think of several that may be based on cultural expectations that are unique such as the Japanese who committed suicide for different reasons during WWII.

Some in the Middle East kill others through suicide for Allah.

This subject is a complex one, and can vary based on many different causes.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:01 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The play 'night, Mother (which was also made into a 1986 film) focuses on a planned suicide and ends with that death.

Quote:
'night, Mother is a 1983 play by Marsha Norman about a daughter, Jessie, and her mother, Thelma (referred to as "Mama" in the play). The play opens with Jessie calmly telling Mama that by morning she will be dead, as she plans to commit suicide that very evening (she makes this revelation all while nonchalantly organizing household items and preparing to do her mother's nails). The subsequent dialogue between Jessie and Mama slowly reveals her reasons for her decision, her life with Mama, and how thoroughly she has planned her own death, culminating in a disturbing – yet unavoidable – climax.

The play is the winner of the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'night,_Mother

The operas, Madama Butterfly and Tosca, both end with the suicides of the title characters.
0 Replies