Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There's a mechanism, a hierarchy, pirate ships have no government oversight.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:17 pm
@izzythepush,
But the hierarchy on ships are hired - not voted into positions of responsibility.
Pirate ships? Maybe in Somalia.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The analogy of a ship is very old.

Quote:
The Ship of State is a famous and oft-cited metaphor put forth by Plato in Book VI of the Republic (488e–489d). It likens the governance of a city-state to the command of a naval vessel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_State

Btw, spoiling your ballot paper is more effective than not voting. It can't be put down to laziness.
revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
This is a dumb conversation which sprang out of a comment I made to CI concerning his decision not to vote this year. Even if it is just six people in the house, if able, those six people are responsible to do their fair share of the household chores. Likewise, we should do our fair share and at least vote.

If the analogy don't fit, forget it then. It is not important to the thread or the discussion as a whole.

If democrats (and this is not really addressed to CI) sit out the election and almost by default, republicans win both the House and the Senate, then those democrats can't very well complain when republicans bring to the floor legislation they disagree with. Or worse, hearings.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:12 pm
@revelette2,
According to the political pundits, the voter turnout is gonna end up with less than 50% voting.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, Plato, of course! Why didn 't I know that! LOL
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:36 pm
@RABEL222,
Well, we'll see, because after tomorrow they will hold both chambers (post the lame-duck period).

Obama still has a veto so you needn't worry too much, and as we know, he has a pen and a phone.

It should be an interesting two years in which O tries to complete his fundamental transformation, and the GOP tries to stop him.

Actually, I'm not so sanguine about what a GOP Senate will do, they are the ultimate Washington Establishment crew. I hate Harry Reid, but he's more in step with his Base than McConnel.

At best they will apply the brakes a bit. All Libs have to fear is not driving the country as far left as might like.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:07 pm
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141103-so-theres-an-election-tomorrow.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Further than Somalia, in many ways.

Read the book Djibouti by Elmore Leonard. (I had a hard time with the first half of it, but even then was interested.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:11 pm
@revelette2,
Cleaning house is over rated in my view. I'm president of my own house.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:12 pm
@revelette2,
I'll admit it's dumb, but it's slightly fun.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Must be nice, my husband likes a clean house when he gets home, with two grandkids around most of time...and I can't clean as well as I used to...anyway, I am out of my league with most literature other than light novels. Just finished the new Anne Rice novel. I haven't made up mind if I liked it or not compared to her earlier novels.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 08:02 pm
@revelette2,
Elmore Leonard is a certain kind of writer and good at it. Lot of bang bang going on, routinely well written.

In this one about Dijbouti, I almost tossed it several times for being boring, unusual for him, but he was setting the scene, seemed like for forever. I kept reading as I kept learning about the whole pirate thing, mostly a complete surprise.

To clarify, I don't like many top selling writers because they pulse violence. Once in a while I'm okay with writers who use that but seem to have brains.
firefly

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 08:20 pm
Oh, I can't wait until tomorrow. I am so sick of all the TV ads, and the recorded phone calls, which have been pretty constant all day.

I'm a registered Democrat, and I realize it's a necessary 'get out the vote' effort, and I did appreciate the one real call I got, on behalf of a Democratic candidate, asking me if I needed a ride to the polls, even though I don't need a ride, but the recorded calls have been driving me nuts, and the TV ads seem endless.

I don't expect the polling place to be crowded, but I plan on voting early in the day.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 08:35 pm
@firefly,
I used to give rides to the polls, back when. Interesting listening.. to my passengers.

Here, now, I absentee vote.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:03 pm
Even If You Live in a DEEP RED Congressional District, It's Important To Vote. Here's Why...
Every time the POPULAR VOTE for Democrats far exceeds the popular vote for Republicans, it highlights the fact that they're continuing to hold the House through GERRYMANDERING (aka CHEATING).

WE know that the Republicans are continuing to cling to power in the House largely because of the GERRYMANDERING they did in State governments after the 2010 sweep. But the general public doesn't know it, unless somebody (correctly) mentions that about two million more votes are cast for Democrats than Republicans in these House Races, but the GOP still wins because of gerrymandering.

We have to continue to run up that POPULAR VOTE score for the Democrats to HIGHLIGHT the fact that the GOP is winning by CHEATING.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=

http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2014/05/gerry.png

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:09 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That's an excellent point, and not enough Americans understand the impact of gerrymandering. To top it off, the GOP implements voter ID laws to disenfranchise liberal voters.

In addition to all that, even the media makes it a big deal that Obama's performance rating is low, but in actual fact, it's higher than most past presidents who served two terms.

People keep saying that the economy needs to improve, but our country's economy is the only one with a steady growth. Even Europe and China's economies are shrinking!

All this misinformation plays into the hands of the GOP, but that's because the American People allows it.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
If you are not a sentient being or under age 18, you're excused. The rest who choose to sit home and watch soap operas will deliver a different form of freedom to those who come after you. Voting is a basic freedom for Americans, well at least most. Women were finally permitted to vote in 1919, which means less than a hundred years in a nation that's less than 250 years old.

Don't vote, don't complain about the outcome. It's your fault.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:10 am
Apparently this initiative allegedly from the people but really from the teachers unions to bankrupt the state with a massive increase of education spending almost all directed to hiring teachers...that we dont need because the current teachers are doing fine....is going to pass by a wide margin.

Oh well, I did what I could.

tncfs

EDIT: I should add that in my district we already pay over $12,000 per 9 months per kid.....enough is enough. With 20 kids per class this is $1320 per day per class. Figure out how to do it cheaper. Pay a teacher $40 an hour which sounds fair to me and we end up with almost $1000 per class spent per day. ON WHAT?!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 07:19 am
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/BzbtffzIYAAvSg3_zps1a1efa73.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/B1h-bE2CQAETdU7_zpse00839c8.jpg
0 Replies